Chapter 17- The Surprise Visit

“I missed you so so much, Okaa-san!”

After they broke from the hug, Inoue Yukie pinched her daughter’s glowing cheeks. “Araa~ We just saw each other a few months ago, Mao-chan. You were not like this when your father and I were away for a whole year.”

Mao hugged her mother again. “Am I not allowed to miss my mother?” She said with a beaming smile on her face. “I wasn’t expecting you to be back so soon. Is there a problem?”

“I just need to take care of some things here. I’ll be staying for just a couple of days. Your father expects me to go back to States right away after I finish what I need to do.” The lady of the Inoue household took a glance at her daughter. “Hmm... I think you gained some weight, Mao.”

“Eh?” Mao put her hands on her waist, trying to measure how much weight she did gain. “Anou... I think I’ve been stress-eating lately. With all the work that’s been pouring, the only thing that’s making me cope up with it is eating.” She tried to defend herself with a guilty smile.

“There’s no need to defend yourself, Mao-chan.” The young-looking mother let out a chuckle. “I’m actually happy you finally gained weight. The last time I saw you, you were skinny like a stick.”

The mother-and-daughter tandem continued their chatting all night through. Though Inoue Yukie was still a bit suspicious with how Mao reacted to her little comment earlier, she let this hunch pass. There was just so much catching-up to do.

***

Mao’s mother was shocked with all the ‘red’ that greeted her at breakfast. Strawberries?

Strawberry pancake. Strawberry shake. Strawberry fruitbowl. The breakfast table was filled with that particular fruit.

“What’s with all these strawberries?” She asked the nearest maid who then answered with the simple fact that Mao asked them to do so.

“Oh well. Never mind.” The mother popped one strawberry into her mouth. “Bleh?!” She was shocked by how sour it tasted.

***

Mao finally went downstairs. She was actually surprised that she woke up late. Again. Being a morning person, Mao made sure to always wake up at around 7am even if it’s not a work day. However in these past few days, she found herself unable to do so. Her maids had to even wake her up during the weekdays since the alarm clock seemed to not have its power on Mao.

Hearing her stomach grumble, Mao approached the dining area. “Ohayou, Okaa-san.” She greeted her mother who had her back turned against her.

“Ohayou, Mao-chan. Breakfast will be ready in a minute.” Her mother seemed to be busy preparing something.

Mao sat down and rested her hands on the dining table. It was nice to see her mother cooking again. She can’t even remember the last time she tasted her mother’s cooking.

“Hai. Here it is.” Her mother finally turned around and moved towards the table, bearing a bowl filled with rice. “It’s just garlic rice. I know fruits are good for you but these strawberries really are so sour—”

Inoue Yukie was interrupted when Mao immediately darted towards the sink and started making gagging noises. She approached her daughter and ran her hands onto her back, trying to comfort Mao. After emptying the contents of her stomach and then cleaning her mouth, Mao faced her mother.

“Sorry about that.”

“Are you sick, Mao-chan?” Her mother motioned for one maid to come. “Fetch me some medicine. Hurry!” She bellowed to the maid but before the latter could run away, Mao held her arm. “No need for that.” Mao smiled at her. “A glass of water will do.” The maid nodded and then excused herself.