Chapter 16- The Check-up

“You sure about this?” Mao whispered. “You can always back out if you want. It’s not too late to call this off.” She pointed out to the guy who’s apparently busy with fixing his disguise.

“What are you saying, Mao-chan? I’m definitely sure about this.” Jun replied while fixing this cap. “Didn’t I promise to make up for my mistakes? Besides we’re already here. There’s no point in turning back now.” He put on his dummy glasses and then took a last glance at his reflection on the rearview mirror.

“Fine. Just make sure you never get caught. We’d be in big trouble if someone recognizes us.” Mao warns him as they got out of Jun’s car.

“This thing is very reliable. I’ve always used this whenever I want to go out and never was I caught by paparazzis.” Jun was wearing a cap and glasses. He even had a face mask on. He really didn’t want to attract attention so he dressed in a very casual way. Mao also did the same, only with the exception of not wearing a cap and a pair of glasses.

They entered the clinic discretely, with Mao leading the way. Jun made sure he avoided the gazes of people. Mao was the one to approach the receptionist. After confirming her appointment schedule, she went her way towards the doctor’s room. Mao was steps in front of Jun while walking. Busy with her phone, she clearly wasn’t paying attention to her path and inevitably collided with a person.

“Ah. Gomen. Gomen. I wasn’t looking. That was my fault. Gomen nasai.” Mao bowed her head in apology.

“It’s alright. Eh? Mao-chan?” Mao heard a familiar voice. When she looked up, she was surprised to see her ex-boyfriend Jin.

“Mao-chan, it’s you! What are you doing here?” Jin was very much surprised as well. He never thought of the possibility of bumping into Mao in a place like this. This is an OB-GYNE clinic. What’s she doing here? For an exam? That’s possible. But what if she’s also—

Jin pointed at Mao’s tummy. “Anou… Are you perhaps… pregnant?” He hesitantly asked.

Mao nods.

“Is it mine?” Jin looks very troubled. Beads of sweat formed and ran through his forehead.

Mao was taken aback with his question. For a while, she couldn’t bring herself to answer. Good thing Jun finally appeared from behind that’s why Mao was able to regain her composure.

“What’s wrong Mao?” Jun asked what was going on.

“Oh nothing. I just bumped into an old colleague of mine. Jun, this is Akanishi Jin.” Mao pointed to him. “Akanishi-san, this is Matsumoto Jun. He’s the father of my child.” Mao smiled as she proudly presented Jun to her ex, even though she still isn’t sure of that fact. This way is better, so that there’ll be no more false assumptions…

Jin swore that the man named Jun was eerily familiar. He just couldn’t put his finger on where he’d seen him and heard his name. His thoughts were interrupted by Mao’s voice.

“So. What brings you here, Akanishi-san?” Men just don’t come into these kinds of clinic without any valid reason, more so a man such as him.

Before Jin could even explain himself, a woman appeared from the doctor’s room and approached him. From Mao’s view, the lady seemed to be very pregnant. “What’s the matter, Jin? Why are you covered in sweat? Geez, I leave you for just a second and then you end up like this? Take care of yourself, you idiot!” The woman started to wipe off Jin’s sweat with her handkerchief. Even though she scolded him, one could see and feel her affection and love towards the man.

After being satisfied with her doing, the lady finally turned around and noticed her surroundings, including Mao and Jun.

She looked at Mao and then said, “Are you number 5? Sensei is waiting for you.” Her warm smile was received by Mao and the latter only nodded as a response.