Chapter 37

Tiptoeing upstairs, James and Jenna brought down their broomsticks as quietly as they could, determined to decorate the Christmas tree all on their own this year, without any help. Although by the worried and anxious look on Mickey's face, it was clear that the house elf wasn't sure if this was a good idea.

     "Mickey really thinks young Master James and Lady Jenna shouldn't be making trouble!" Mickey said nervously, watching as the twins carried their brooms into the hall, carrying them down with their hands.

    "Mickey, why don't you go upstairs and make sure Mum and Dad don't come down until we're done decorating the tree," said James. "Just distract them if they wanted to come downstairs."

     Mickey sighed, but the next moment he snapped his fingers together and vanished out of sight in a split second.

    "Let's get to it then," said Jenna with a mischievous grin, mounting her broom, and James followed.

    With a little push of their feet, the two of them shot up on their brooms after taking a hold of an ornament each. One by one, they flew around the tree, higher and higher, all the way up to the ceiling, decorating it with the use of one hand.

    It was taking longer than they expected, because they had to fly down to the floor to take up only one ornament and then fly back up to place it on the tree. But in all honesty, they were having the time of their lives. They'd never enjoyed decorating the Christmas tree more than they were now.

    "Only a few more to go," said James, taking a silver globe from inside the box before flying up again.

     "I'm gonna put the star on now," said Jenna excitedly, taking it in her hand and flying up toward the tip of the tall tree.

    "Put it carefully," said James, who was hovering in mid-air on his broom, watching his sister anxiously.

    "Stop talking. You'll distract me," said Jenna, lowering her speed and stopping as she reached the top.

     She reached out her hand to put the star on the top of the tree, holding onto her broom's handle with her left hand. Although she couldn't quite reach it. So she tried flying just a few inches closer to the tree, as carefully and as slowly as possible.

    "Just a little bit closer..." Jenna mumbled to herself, focusing harder as she stretched out her arm further.

    Although she became startled and lost control of everything when she heard a loud gasp behind her and her father shouting from the bottom of the stairs, "Merlin's beard!"

    Feeling horrified, Jenna lost focus and the star fell from her hands. The next moment she lost control of her broom and crashed into the tree, causing the tree to hurtle over, and so she fell down to the floor with it with a scream.

     "JENNA!" Mr. Potter yelled in terror and ran toward the hall as fast as his legs could carry him.

    With his eyes widened in horror, James flew down and landed next to his sister on the ground, getting off his broom and abruptly kneeling down to the floor beside Jenna along with her father.

    At the same time, they started hearing rushed footsteps coming down the stairs. It was Mrs. Potter.

"What happened!? I heard a loud crash — Oh, my Godric!" She clapped a hand over her mouth as she saw that the tree had collapsed on the floor, and Jenna was laying there motionlessly.

    "Jenna!? Jenna!" Mr. Potter kept on calling her, until Jenna finally blinked a few times and opened her eyes weakly. "Are you okay? Where does it hurt?" He asked rashly as Mrs. Potter walked forward, feeling as if her knees were going to give away from the horror of seeing her daughter like that.

    "M-my arm..." Jenna mumbled, sniffing as she tried to sit up.

    "Here, give me your hand," said Mr. Potter, rolling up her sleeve. He then briskly took out his wand from his pocket and pointed it at Jenna's arm, which felt to her as if it were broken.

    With that, he carefully said, "Brackium Emendo."

    "Ouch!" Jenna squealed as her arm gave a loud crack, but the next moment the pain stopped completely.

    Mrs. Potter let out a sigh of relief, placing a hand over her fast beating heart, feeling as though she was just about to pass out. It was her worst nightmare to see her children hurt like that.

     "Thank Merlin..." said Mr. Potter in a low whisper, as if talking mostly to himself, and then he placed his wand back in his pocket.

    James still seemed to be in a state of shock, unable to utter a single word as he kept staring at his sister with wide eyes. He had never felt this scared in his entire life. He always would boast and say that he wasn't afraid of anything in the world, but at that moment he came to the realization that his loved ones being in danger or getting hurt was his worst fear.

     The room fell silent as they all looked back at Jenna, who was still sitting on the floor, holding onto her arm, even though the pain had fainted away.

    "How are you feeling?" Mr. Potter asked her with concern, who was still sitting on the floor beside her.

    "I..." Jenna blinked a few times, until her smile widened once again. "I feel awesome!" She then burst out in laughter, and then James followed, laughing as he got to his feet now that he was sure his sister was all right.

    "That was brilliant!" said James, howling with laughter. "This will be a hell of a story to tell!" Jenna chuckled, nodding in agreement.

     "This wasn't funny!" Mrs. Potter snapped, causing them both to fall silent. "You could've gotten seriously injured!"

     James and Jenna glanced at each other sideways, holding back a snort.

    "You only lasted two hours after promising that you would behave yourselves!" She pointed a finger between them. "That is exactly why flying isn't allowed inside the house!"

    "We're sorry," James and Jenna mumbled at the same time.

     "I knew you two were up to something," said Mr. Potter, shaking his head at them. "I was coming downstairs to get some water, but Mickey kept appearing and blocking my way, and he would start juggling. I knew it damn well then that he was sent to apparently distract me."

    "Well... I'm just glad you're not too hurt," said Mrs. Potter, letting out yet another sigh.

    With that, she took out her wand and pointed it at the collapsed tree. And so, with a swish of her wand, the tree raised from the floor and all its ornaments were magically fixed, flying down to gracefully take their place on the tree.

    "I really feel bad for Professor McGonagall," said Mrs. Potter, turning to face the twins with a smile. "I don't think she'll ever be prepared for you two little devils."