Chapter 73

Sirius stiffened at those words as both he and James drew out their wands in a quick motion. Remus was looking around anxiously, wanting to stop them. But he felt like they had done enough for him when they accepted him into their group after finding out about his condition. He didn't want to say anything to them and break their trust.

Peter, on the other hand, had his eyes fixed on them, waiting eagerly to see what would happen next. He eyed the three Ravenclaw boys, observing their opponents. James and Sirius seemed ready for a fight, but Peter remained behind them, not wanting to get in trouble with older boys who seemed stronger than them.

"How dare you speak these lies about her," Sirius snarled, his eyes burning in fury as he pointed his wand at Bertram.

"Oh, it's not a lie," he said, smirking. "I've been talking to her for a few weeks before the Christmas break. And today we were talking all alone in one of the compartments on the train, and then I kissed her. She seemed to have liked it too, cause she wouldn't let me go —"

No one could tell whether it was James or Sirius who did it first, but Bertram's words were cut off when a hex was thrown at his direction, hurtling him over and tossing him to the ground. The next moment, the people who were gathered around let out yells and some laughed when the Ravenclaw boy's head started to swell up twice its own size.

Seconds later, at the sound of the mayhem that had fallen in the entrance hall, the professors emerged from the Great Hall, gasping at the boy who was shrieking in horror on the floor with an abnormally large head.

Professor Kumar, who was the Ancient Runes teacher, rushed forward along with Professor Flitwick, helping the Ravenclaw boy up the marble staircase to take him to the hospital wing, with his two friends following after them.

Professor McGonagall, however, stayed in the entrance hall, having seen James and Sirius with their wands in hand.

"Potter! Black!" Professor McGonagall snapped, pacing toward them angrily. "This is disgraceful! The use of Engorgio Skullus hex is illegal! But to use it on another fellow student? I've never seen something so outrageous! You should be ashamed of yourselves!"

The two boy usually tried their best to say something and get themselves out of trouble, but this time James and Sirius remained quiet, while Remus and Peter looked over at them nervously.

"Follow Mr. Filch into his office," Professor McGonagall said sternly before they could get the time to excuse themselves. "You'll be receiving double detention. Off you go!"

Without arguing, James and Sirius followed Filch away, who bore a nasty grin across his face.

"The rest of you, away!" Professor McGonagall clapped her hands together once in authority, and so the other students hurried into the Great Hall.

James knew for sure that not a word that Bertram was true, but that wasn't the case for Sirius. He barely blinked as he breathed heavily through his nostrils, not uttering a single word while the two boys followed Filch toward his office.

"Stupid son of a bitch," James mumbled grimly under his breath as he walked next to Sirius. "If I hear another guy talk about my sister like that one more time... I would curse that person into oblivion."

Sirius said nothing. He was holding himself back from punching a wall from anger. If there was one thing he was sure of at the moment was that he would never tell James about his kiss with Jenna. All the happiness he had felt was now vanished.

"As if Jenna would ever do that." James scoffed when Sirius failed to respond. "And even if she did, there is no way she 'wouldn't let him go'. I know my sister. Jenna's not the type to actually fall for a guy."

His words only made Sirius more furious, if anything. He felt like a fool for thinking for a second that Jenna actually liked him.

***

Jenna didn't see her brother or Sirius for the rest of the night, even after dinner. Word had it that they had both been sent to detention for hexing a third year Ravenclaw boy named Bertram Aubrey. But the reason for it was a haze and numerous rumors ran around, one more ridiculous than the other.

When Jenna woke up for the start of their classes the next morning, she went to take a shower before her three friends had even woken up. She spent a bit longer in front of the mirror that day, working on her hair, using her Metamorphic abilities to make her hair look more elegant and prettier.

A little pimple had grown on her forehead a few days ago, but she managed to make it disappear with no difficulty. With a smile on her face, she purposely made her cheeks a rosy color and her lips slightly pinker.

"Wow, Jen! You look so pretty today," said Alice when Jenna came out of their shared bathroom, already dressed and ready to go down to the Great Hall for breakfast. She then said with a knowing smile, "And what's the occasion?"

"She's going to meet up with her boyfriend, of course," Marlene said playfully, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Oh, shut up," Jenna said with a goofy smile, but she couldn't deny that she was extremely excited to see him again.

"Ready to go?" Lily asked them after double-checking her bag to make sure she had packed all her books.

"You mean ready to see Jenna blush in front of Sirius? Hell yeah!" Marlene nodded eagerly.

    All of them giggled at that, and so the four girls left their dorm and walked out of the Gryffindor common room, making their way down toward the Great Hall.

    "Look. There's Sirius," Lily said in a quiet yet excited tone when they entered the Hall, pointing at where Sirius stood beside the Gryffindor table, talking to a Hufflepuff girl who was a second year just like them.

    "That's Angelica," Marlene whispered to them, always in the mood for gossiping. "She was actually the first to turn thirteen in our year. But what's Sirius doing talking to her?"

     "Dunno." Jenna shrugged, not really minding. "I'll better go and speak with him, before James comes here." Looking around, they didn't see James, Remus, or Peter in the Great Hall, who were still probably getting ready in their dorm.

     Jenna made a move to walk toward Sirius, but just then, she felt her world crumble down and came to a halt when she suddenly saw Sirius place his hand over the girl's cheek before leaning in and bringing her into a kiss.