Chapter 56

After Professor McGonagall handed the second year Gryffindors their class schedules, Jenna and her friends headed down to the Charms' classroom, which was their first class of the year.

     When everyone was seated, after a few minutes the chatter finally faded once Professor Flitwick walked into the room. Lily was sitting eagerly at the edge of her seat with her quill and notebook already out, waiting for the lesson to begin.

     They watched as the tiny professor got up on a pile of books behind his desk as usual, clearing his throat and ready to speak.

     "Hello, everyone, and welcome back to Charms class," said Professor Flitwick in his usual squeaky voice. "This year we will be covering Disarming, Freezing, Engorgement, Shrinking, and Slowing Charms. We will also be studying the theory on Memory Charms."

     There was a chatter of excitement around the class as they realized they would be learning so many more spells and charms that were way more fascinating than last year.

      "Today we shall be learning the Skurge Charm," Professor Flitwick went on, taking out his wand to start the lesson. "Now who can tell me what a Skurge Charm is?"

     Without doubt, Lily's hand was the first to be raised, and so the Professor gestured at her for permission.

"Skurge is a charm that can clean up the sticky green ectoplasm created by passing ghosts. It can also be used to frighten spirits. Even poltergeists," Lily explained.

James scoffed at this, whispering to Sirius, "Peeves better watch out after we learn this Charm. It's time for payback."

"Thank you, Miss Evans. That is precisely correct! Five points for Gryffindor," said Professor Flitwick, and the Gryffindor students beamed.

After Charms, the second years had Defense Against the Dark Arts, followed by Potions. It was certainly a rough schedule to start a Monday. Although this was the least of Jenna's worries that day.

"Why do you look so troubled, Jen?" Alice asked as they were sitting down for lunch. She realized that her friend hadn't even touched the food on her plate yet as she moved the vegetables around with her fork.

"Quidditch tryout are today, in the afternoon." Jenna gave out a shaky breath. "I read the notice-board today in the common room, and saw that five people had already signed their names up for the Seeker's spot this year. Five!"

Jenna groaned, banging her head down on the table and keeping it there.

"Jen, from what I saw last year in our flying lessons, you were the best!" Lily said firmly, trying to put some confidence into her friend. "I'm sure you're going to make it."

"Yeah, me too," said Marlene, her mouth full.

"Lily is never wrong, you know," said Alice, giggling. "If she says you're going to make it, then you're going to make it."

"Precisely," Lily said with a playful smile, making Jenna laugh.

She was grateful of her friends, but that didn't stop her from worrying. And her nervousness became worse and worse the closer they got to the tryouts.

After their last class, Jenna bade her friends goodbye and made her way down to the Quidditch pitch. She took one of the school's brooms from the closet inside the locker rooms, joining the others in the field.

There, she saw six players, already dressed in their red and gold Quidditch robes. There were three other Gryffindors as well, whom she assumed had shown up for the Seeker's tryout. Although James hadn't shown up just yet.