Chapter 47

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing?" James asked in a hollow voice, his eyes fixed on Remus as he took turn in hugging his mum and then his dad.

    "Yes, considering I showed it to you in the first place," Jenna said cheekily, rolling her eyes.

     "But... I don't understand." James blinked a few times, as though making sure his eyes weren't duping him. "I thought his mum was sick. As in... really sick."

     "Dunno... maybe a miracle happened?" Jenna offered an explanation, though it was rather suspicious to her as well.

     "She's been horribly sick for a whole year, from what Remus said. He left to visit her only a few days ago because he said it was so urgent that he couldn't even give the Charms exam," James protested in a hushed tone. "Even if they had miraculously found a cure for his mum just a few days ago, it's still impossible for someone to look this healthy in such a short time. And also, even if she had been cured a few days ago, then why didn't his parents write a letter to Remus to let him know?"

     "Well, you can ask Remus after summer — I see Mum and Dad. There they are," said Jenna, looking over at the crowd as Euphemia and Fleamont Potter finally came to sight, waving their children over with welcoming smiles.

    But as Jenna was about to push her trolley over, she took aback when James left his trunks behind and started walking in the opposite direction.

     "Where are you going?" Jenna called after him.

     "Going to talk to Remus," James answered, turning for a second longer to look back at Jenna.

     "Have you gone mad!? You can't just stride off there and ask if he's been lying!"

     "I know." He shrugged. "I'm just going to ask how she's doing. Remus is one of my best mates. It's rude of me not to go and say hello to his parents." With that, he left his trolley behind and walked on.

     "James! James!" Jenna tried calling after her brother, but he had already gone off, leaving Euphemia and Fleamont confused as they stood in the distance.

     Once James reached Remus's family, he cleared his throat, catching their attention. When they turned around and Remus saw James, he went pale for some reason, as though he knew exactly why James had come over.

    "Well, hello." Mrs. Lupin smiled down at the young boy kindly.

     "I'm James Potter," he introduced himself confidently, "its a pleasure finally meeting you."

    Mr. Lupin chuckled. "Ah, what a polite boy!"

     "It's nice finally seeing you too, James," Mrs. Lupin said in an incredibly soft and kind voice. "Remus has told us all about you and his other friends, of course."

     "Did he, now?" James grinned sideways at Remus, who was avoiding his eyes, still pale in the face. James then turned his glance back on his mother. "Well, I just came here to say I'm glad that you're feeling better, Mrs. Lupin."

    This was the exact reaction James was waiting for; after saying those words, he saw a confused look cross on her face as she stared at him with a tiny frown.

     "Pardon?" said Mrs. Lupin.

     "You know? From your illness," said James in a casual tone, as though he was keeping up with a simple chit-chat. "That's what Remus told us."

      "My illness?" Mrs. Lupin raised a brow at him, but then when she glanced at Remus's pleading eyes, her expression changed in a quick second. "Oh, yes. My illness. I'm feeling much better."

     "I'm happy to know." James gave her a little smile, before turning to face Remus again. "I'll see you after summer, mate. Have fun over the break." And so with one last wave at them, he walked away to greet his parents.

***

"I just don't understand," James whispered to his sister as the two of them sat behind the kitchen table that night. Their mother was getting the dinner ready, and their father was still upstairs.

     "Don't understand what?" Jenna asked warily.

     "That why Remus would lie!" James said in a hushed tone so only Jenna could hear him. "His mum was obviously fine. She was surprised when I asked her about the illness. But she then backed Remus up with his lie."

     "And...?"

     "What do you mean and?" James snapped and shook his at her in frustration. "He keeps disappearing every few weeks. He comes back with more scars each freaking time. He said he had been going back home, but that was clearly a lie. Then where the hell does he go each month, if not home? And why does he leave, if his mother is not sick?"

     "Look, J.P," Jenna started with a little sigh, "I know that sounds suspicious, but weren't you the one who said you didn't want to pressure him into talking about it?"

      "Yes, but that was before we found out that he'd been lying this whole time!" James protested. "This just doesn't sit right with me. Something's off. I can feel it."

    "What's off?" Mrs. Potter asked as she neared the kitchen table to place the dinner's dish in the middle of the table.

     "Nothing," James and Jenna said quickly in sync, throwing each other one last quick glance.

     Thankfully, their mother didn't question them any further and went to call down Mr. Potter so they could start with dinner.

      James and Jenna came to a silent agreement not to talk about the matter anymore, and Jenna eventually let the thought slip away from her mind. But not James.

     He knew his mind wouldn't rest until he found out what Remus was hiding. James was going to find out his secret, and that much he was sure of. It was a promise.