Chapter 91

"Everyone, please turn in your signed permission forms. No permission form, no Hogsmeade visit. Those are the rules." Professor McGonagall's strict and loud voice rang across the courtyard, where the students had gathered.

Everyone was already out of their school uniforms and in their casual outfits, ready to enjoy their first trip of the year. But the brightest and the most excited faces belonged to the third year students, who had not yet seen Hogsmeade and its many attractions.

"Where should we visit first?" Alice asked excitedly as they got into one of the horseless carriages that would take them down to Hogsmeade.

"Definitely Honeydukes. I've heard it's got the most amazing sweets you could imagine!" Marlene said with a huge grin over her face.

"I don't know, but I think the Owl Post sounds interesting," Lily said thoughtfully. "I also can't wait to try my first Butterbeer. I heard it's amazing!"

"Oh, yeah. I'm really excited to go to Three Broomsticks, too. My parents went on and on about it over summer." Jenna chuckled. "They apparently had their first date there when they were students at Hogwarts."

     By the time Jenna finished telling her friends the half-gross and half-hilarious story of her parents' first disastrous date, they reached the Hogsmeade Village.

     "Merlin's beard! This place is freaking cool!" Marlene exclaimed the moment they walked out of their carriage, looking all around.

     Alice then took her pet Bowtruckle — Woody — out of her coat's pocket and placed him on her shoulder so he could enjoy the view better from up there. She was sure if a professor saw him, they would not allow her to keep him any longer.

      "Did you know that this is the only village in all Britain where its entire population are Witches and Wizards?" Lily stated, looking around her in amazement.

      "Oh, who cares! Look at this place — ooh, there's Honeydukes!" Marlene squealed in excitement, jumping up and down and clapping her hands together, before running toward the shop.

    Lily and Jenna looked at each other sideways and burst into laughter, before running after her friend across the crowded street.

     "Wait for me!" Alice yelled after them, holding Woody in her hand before following them away, so he wouldn't fall off.

     "Oh... my... god..." Marlene halted the moment she walked through the doors, her eyes wide and her mouth hanging open as she looked around.

     From Fizzing Whizbees and Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans to Chocolate Frogs, and shelf after shelf filled with different candies and sweets, the Honeydukes was simply a dream coming true for Marlene. Even the other girls enjoyed themselves, browsing through different shelves and laughing or grimacing when they found things like Cockroach Clusters or Blood Pop.

     They left the shop what felt like an eternity later, all of them carrying bags filled with different sweets and candies. In Marlene's case, she could barely see where she was walking with all the boxes she had in hand.

     "I think I'll send some of these Chocoballs to my parents. They're filled with strawberry mousse and clotted cream," Lily mused, a big smile on her lips. "And I'm sure Tuney would enjoy the Sugar Quills, too."

"You sure she wouldn't just throw them away out of jealousy?" Jenna said bitterly.

"I — well, no — I don't know — would she?" Lily's eyebrows furrowed, throwing her glance away.

Jenna bit the inside of her cheek, immediately regretting saying a word. So, she walked toward Lily to wrap her free arm around her. "Sorry. Didn't mean to bring that stuff up. I'm sure she'll love them. You can also send some of the Glacial Snowflakes, too."

"You really think she'd like them?" Lily asked absently.

"Of course." Jenna nodded earnestly, giving her a smile.

"But don't send all the Glacial Snowflakes, though," Marlene said, struggling to keep on walking without dropping any boxes. "I don't think I bought enough of those. We might run out."

     "You sure you didn't buy enough?" Jenna arched up an eyebrow at her, saying mockingly, "Because I'm pretty sure you emptied the whole store."

     Marlene made a face at her, making them laugh.

     "Should we go to Zonko's next? I heard it's a great joke shop," Alice suggested, already opening one of her Chocolate Frogs. She took out the card and gave the chocolate itself to Marlene. "Oh, no... I've got Merlin again. I've got five of him already. Was really hoping I could get Nicholas Flamel."

     Jenna suddenly grinned. "I just remembered — I've already been to Zonko's."

     "Really? When?" Lily mused curiously.

     "When James and I were kids. It was the summer before we got our Hogwarts letters," Jenna began to explain, her grin growing wider as the four girls crossed the alley to get to Zonko's. "I don't remember if our parents weren't home or if they were sleeping, but James and I convinced Mickey to help us get to Hogsmeade. We bought all sort of stuff from Zonko's. It was awesome."

     "Who's Mickey, again?" Marlene asked, mouth full of Alice's Chocolate Frog.

     "Our house elf," Jenna replied.

     "Ooh, I love house elves! They're adorable!" Alice said excitedly.

     "I'd love to see them." Lily smiled. "I've only ever seen pictures of them in books. But it makes me sad when I read their history, though. It's heartbreaking, how wizards treated them in the past. A few families are still horrible to them. Your family don't treat Mickey like that though, do they?"

      Jenna sighed. "Not the point I was making with my story, guys. But no. We love Mickey. And he loves our family just as much."

     The moment the girls stepped into the joke shop, they noticed the sudden change in the atmosphere. They were no longer in the quiet and peaceful air of the village's alleys, but were rather welcomed with the chaos and loudness that reigned the shop. Jenna suddenly gasped and had to duck when an item flew past her head, which turned out to be a fake Pixie.

     Of course, not moments later did the girls realize that half the noise in the place came from four boisterous boys, laughing as they browsed through the shelves.

     "Oh, no," Lily mumbled, her face crumbling. "Suddenly I don't feel like being here anymore."

     "Relax," Marlene shook the matter off carelessly, putting her candy boxes down on the floor so she could look around the shop more easily. "I'm sure they're too busy to even notice us. We won't have to talk to them at a—"

     "Ah, Evans! Fancy seeing you here!"

     Lily groaned in misery at the familiar voice. "What do you want, Potter?"

James grinned as he walked toward the girls along with his friends. "Well, I wanted to spend today on a date with you, Evans. Before you turned me down, of course. It broke my heart." He pouted, but there was no remorse or sadness visible in his voice. Only playfulness.

Lily rolled her eyes. "Get lost, Potter."

"Gladly. But only if you come with me." James winked at her, causing Peter and Sirius to snort with laughter. Although Remus seemed to be busying himself with looking through nearby shelves, as to not meddle with the current drama.

Lily opened her mouth, looking like she was about to curse James in the foulest way possible, but instead she only huffed and stormed out of the shop.