Chapter 79

The start-of-term feast at the Great Hall that night was as magnificent as ever. Marlene ate as much as she possibly could, to the point that she got a stomachache, and Alice had to help her up to the hospital wing.

The next morning, Hogwarts woke up the sound of raindrops hitting the castle grounds, as though autumn had decided to arrive early.

After getting ready in their dorm, the four girls left the Gryffindor common room and made their way down into the Great Hall along with the other students.

"God, I missed the breakfasts at Hogwarts!" Marlene rubbed her hands together in glee as she sat down at the Gryffindor table with her friends, looking around at the different dishes of pancake, sausage, bacon, eggs, fruits, toasts, and the many bottles of drinks.

Alice chuckled. "I thought last night you said that you were done with food."

"I will not accept such horrible accusations, madam," said Marlene earnestly, piling up her plate with sausage and ketchup.

Just then, Professor McGonagall walked up to them with many papers in her hands, passing them around to the Gryffindor students.

"There you go, ladies," she said in her usual stern tone, handing them the third years' class schedules before walking up to the next students.

"Ugh, no!" Marlene groaned with her mouth full. "Our Mondays suck!"

"It's not that bad," said Lily, pouring some cereal and milk into her bowl.

"But it is! Look!" Marlene shoved the paper into her face.

Lily grabbed the paper from her, giving it a look. "Double Defense Against the Dark Arts with Slytherins. Then Care of Magical Creatures, then double Charms with Ravenclaw... Like I said, it's not too bad." She handed the timetable back to Marlene who still bore a miserable expression upon her face.

"How is it not bad?"

"You and Jenna only picked one extra class. Other than Care of Magical Creatures, I also took Arithmancy. And Alice took Muggle studies."

"Which reminds me," Jenna started, turning to face Alice, "why did you take Muggle Studies, Al? It sounds a bit boring to me."

"Oh, but I think it could be really interesting!" Alice nodded excitedly. "It's fascinating to see how they live by without magic."

Jenna began to reply, but she stopped when she heard someone calling her, "Potter!"

Turning around, she saw Michael Collins walking toward her from the other end of the Gryffindor table, a broad smile across his face. He was a fifth year boy with dark brown hair, and he had been on their Quidditch team for two years now.

"Hey, Michael." Jenna gave him a small wave of her hand once he reached her. "What's up?"

"I'm the new Quidditch Captain," said Michael, grinning proudly.

"Ooh! Congratulations!" Jenna gave him a smile. "Are you holding tryouts this year, then?"

"Thanks. And yeah," he nodded, "I've booked the pitch from Professor McGonagall for tomorrow at five o'clock for the tryouts."

"Isn't the weather rainy? It would be harder to play, if it doesn't stop until then."

"True. But it will also help us see who can play better in bad weathers, which can happen during an actual match," he explained. "Anyway, you obviously don't have to do the tryout, but I want the whole team down there tomorrow. We're two Chasers, one Keeper, and one Beater short; the previous ones graduated Hogwarts last year."

"All right. See you there tomorrow at five, then."

"See you." Michael sent her a nod before leaving her side to go to the rest of their teammates and give them the news.

"Where are you going?" Lily asked as Jenna raised to her feet.

"Wanna tell the news to James. He wants to try for the Chaser spot," said Jenna before walking up the Great Hall to where her brother was sitting with his three friends.

"Hey, J.P," Jenna called out as she approached him, catching his attention. "The Quidditch tryouts for Gryffindor is tomorrow, five o'clock."

"Yes!" James punched the air in excitement.

"What are you so happy about? You haven't even got on the team yet," said Jenna playfully, grinning.

"Yet," James pointed out. "But I will. I'm sure of it."

"I know you'll make it, James," said Peter, giving him a little smile.

James grinned smugly. "Thanks, Pete."

"I was actually thinking about going for the tryouts, too," said Sirius, cutting through the pancakes on his plate.

"Really?" Remus said in surprise. "For what spot?"

"Beater. I think it's really cool." Sirius smirked, before looking up at Jenna. "Will you be there to cheer us on, Jenny?"

Jenna glared at him. "I'll most likely cheer the Bludgers on."

The other three boys sniggered as Jenna walked off, causing Sirius to send them a sharp look, silencing them.

***

After breakfast, Lily, Alice, Marlene, and Jenna grabbed their bags and walked up to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. They took their usual seats together, waiting for the new teacher to arrive.

"Why do the Defense Against the Dark Arts professors change almost every year?" Lily whispered to Jenna as they sat together near the front of the classroom. "It's a bit odd, isn't it?"

"Yeah, I suppose so." Jenna shrugged.

     But just then, everyone let out a gasp of shock when a trunk which was situated at the front of the class gave a loud BANG and shook frantically.

      No one had paid attention to it before this, but now all eyes were fixed on the huge iron trunk. It was silent for a minute, but then it shook again and gave another sudden wobble.

     "What's in that?" James asked, getting up from his seat along with Sirius, both of them walking closer toward the trunk curiously.

      "Don't open it!" Peter squeaked from where he sat, glancing over his shoulder at the classroom's door, in case he would need to escape if whatever was in the trunk would be set loose.

     "We're not going to open it, don't worry," said Sirius, observing the shaking trunk more closely, though he didn't sound too convincing.

      "What do you think it is?" James asked again with great fascination.

      "That's a Boggart, ladies and gentlemen," came a voice from the doorway.