Chap 25 - War

I scribbled down the changes that needed to take place to increase the income of the pack and maintain everything smoothly. The telephone rang interrupting the silence of the room. I picked it up and answered.

"Hello."

"Alpha Athena, Alpha Xason speaking." His husky voice sounded through the phone and I felt my insides churn.

"Yes, how may I help you?" I asked with curiosity in my heart. What happened that made him call me?

"I would like to go through the details of the contract that we had agreed on. You had called yesterday but I was caught up in work." He explained the situation and for some reason I felt disappointment fill my heart. I was expecting him to say something else. What? I don't know but anything other than business talks.

"Sure." I replied back dryly staring out of the window seeing the bright sun out and about.

"I am out for some work. After that, I will come to your pack today."

"Fine." With that, I cut the call. I leaned back on the chair and heaved a sigh.

What was I expecting?

Getting rid of my irrelevant thoughts, I focused on the work at hand. The interesting thing was what scene would happen after he came here. Hopefully, I won't die. Then with a much distracted mind, I finished my work and went to have lunch. The dining area was buzzing with pack members and staff who hurriedly brought in the dishes. I entered the space to hear only silence as everyone rushed to their seats. I went and sat on my chair and motioned the servants to start serving. Hayden and Eyana were present too. Hayden sat on my right and Eyana on my left. The smell was incredibly good and I could feel my mouth water. Without much delay, I started with lasagna and within seconds my stomach was full with lasagna, wedges and sandwiches. As always, the food tasted great. Soon enough, the second batch joined in and teenagers along with children greeted me. Some children even stopped by to talk for which their parents apologized feeling embarrassed due to their child's questions. I assured them that it was fine and after an hour or so lunch was finally done.

I went up to my room and dropped on the bed feeling fatigue attack me. The only thought running through my mind was that Xason was coming and how I would make him tell the truth. The suspense was too much but eventually I felt asleep while overthinking.

"Athena, wake up." Someone nudge me interrupting my sleep. I hummed in response too sleepy to wake up.

"Alpha Xason is here. Wake up." Hayden's spoke and I rolled on my back. Opening my eyes, I saw Hayden's hazy form.

"Get up." I stretched like a cat that made him laugh. Throwing the covers off, I reluctantly walked to the bathroom and closed the door behind me. I peed and brushed my teeth. I fixed the bird's nest on top of my head and went to my office where he was. My heartbeat increased in anticipation as I neared my office. Why? I don't know. I would be seeing him after a long time. With butterflies in my stomach, I twisted the knob and entered the room.

Instantly, his intense grey eyes met with mine. I sucked in a breath seeing him seated on the chair with his hair slicked back with gel that glistened under light. He wore a baby blue shirt with the sleeves rolled to his elbow and black pants. His lip piercing was back on show. I checked him out shamelessly and so did he.

Why does he always look so hot?

He is my mate after all. Raima bragged and I scoffed internally.

"Good to see you, Alpha Xason." I greeted and closed the door behind me.

"Likewise." He replied as I sat down on the chair so that I was facing him. He looked as handsome as ever. Always does. The sexual tension was prominent in the air but I was determined to overcome it.