Chap 3 - Smoke

Diego Barrueco as Xason

I woke up panting like a dog covered in cold sweat. Not even 15 mins gone since I closed my eyes after three Long agonising hours and this is how I wake up. Walking to the closed window, I opened it letting the cold air relax me as I take out a cigarette from a packet that I had taken from the bedside drawer along with a lighter. I inhaled the smoke deeply, as a burning feeling rose in my throat. I don't usually smoke that much now unless a situation like this arises or I just have things running in my mind. It took me a lot to get rid of my habit of smoking more than a pack in a day. I know it is harmful but as people say 'Old habits die hard.' I couldn't help but think about him. Then thoughts of it clouded in my mind, shaking me to its core and regretting of thinking of him.

It won't be long till the pack wakes up. So I decided to take a shower to get rid of the sweat. Getting dressed in a blue t-shirt with black tights and sneakers, I walked to the kitchen and ate some cereal, taking off for the pack house to see it buzzing with people. Especially parents sending their children to school and some running around trying to avert going to school. On the way, I stumbled across Eyana.

"Eyana, tell the Warriors to come out on the field. I'll be joining them." I instructed her.

"Ok." She confidently walked away and I went into my room, changing into a sports bra and walking to the field where they had already started fighting after finishing breakfast.

"They all are here." Hayden informed as he watched me approach closer.

"Teenagers too?"

"Yeah."

I observed them fight and went to another people fighting. A girl, Amara was fighting with another she wolf. But she was constantly losing to her opponent. I blew my whistle and they stopped, standing straight before bowing their heads. Walking closer to the young girl, I saw her breathing hard and she was extremely tensed.

"Take a deep breath. Relax and then fight. Otherwise you may get the fuck out of here if you can't fight back." I instigated her and blew the whistle for them to start the fight again.

She seemed a bit more relax now and was thinking wisely because when the opponent came to strike her, Amara dodged it kicking her on the back of her knees. When she fell on the ground Amara punched her square on the jaw and a crack loud enough for us to hear with our hearing abilities resonated and the girl was knocked off.

She looked up at me and her eyes glazed up a bit.

"Thank you, Alpha."

I nodded and went back to the other struggling members. After two hours of practice, I was drenched in sweat and going to my office since Eyana informed me about a call from Reece. I entered just then the phone rang up and I quickly picked it up.

"Alpha Athena speaking." I breathlessly answered the call and a familiar voice replied.

"Alpha Xason." His voice seemed restrained but still if it was someone else they would have probably peed their pants now, just his name or a mention about him was enough for anyone to start shaking from their core. He just had that effect. It was what made him, him. A chill ran down my spine at his voice.