9. Old Friends and New Acquaintances

I never saw myself becoming a single parent

I never saw myself becoming a single parent. I don't know how many people actually plan that for themselves. When it happens, either by choice or by unexpected powers that be, you're forced into a whole new realm of survival. The hours of sleep needed dwindle as your body adjusts to a whole new schedule. Routine becomes absolutely necessary. Things need to be thought out and lists are a freaking life saver. I have post-its and phone reminders for everything. Without it, I don't think I would know where to go when. There's just too much ground to cover.

Today is another doozy. I am currently at the store grabbing a few essentials for the week. Once I'm done here, I promised Mia I would take her to the park. At some point I need to start looking for a second job as well as continue to look for a place to rent. I know places around here go fast, especially the kind of places I can afford. The problem is that if I don't have that second job lined up, then I don't think I'll be in any position to jump on the perfect place when it arrives.

Somewhere between all of that I need to catch up on the laundry that's been adding up the last two weeks. I can never seem to keep up with it all. Just when I think I've made it to the bottom of the basket, it's nearly halfway full again. I thought between just Mia and me it wouldn't be that bad, but now that dance is in the picture along with beach trips and park days, she's always changing into something different. I guess I need to work laundry into the routine. I'm sure I can place a post-it for that somewhere.

I turn down the bath aisle, grabbing the soap that Mia likes. I should say, the soap that her skin likes. Finding just the right soap that doesn't dry out her skin or cause splotchy rashes was quite the adventure. I didn't even know there were so many options and varieties of sensitive soaps. I've tried a lot of them too. This is the only one that seems to work. As I turn to head onto my next list item, I hear my name shouted from the other end of the aisle.

"Amber? Amber Jenkins?"

I slowly close my eyes at the mention of my maiden name. I knew coming home meant I would see people I knew, but I don't know if you're ever ready to run into someone from high school. I open my eyes, pushing a smile on my face as I turn to look at the person who yelled my name. When I look up, I see her red hair first. There's a small wash of relief at seeing who it is.

"Trina?" I ask, with a genuine smile taking over now. Trina was one of my closest friends in high school. When I left for college, we kept in touch, but when I decided to disappear from the drama of my twin, I just kind of let everything else fade away too.

She takes a step down the aisle, coming closer now. "I can't believe it. Are you visiting?"

This is what I wanted to avoid. That awkward conversation, explaining that I'm home. That I didn't quite make it out there in the real world.

"Uh, no. I actually moved back."

"No shit?" she smiles, and I can't help but laugh at the older woman now glaring in our direction. Trina never was one to bite her tongue, or keep her voice down.