60. Always Here

Steady

Steady. Peaceful. Calm.

Drifting on the stable current of the ocean is part of why I came home. I know the ocean isn't always steady or calm. I know it can be vicious, unpredictable, and is always in control. But that's not what I feel when I'm out here. I don't feel the vast unknown but instead the familiar pull. Being out here allows me to breathe. To take in the salty air, letting it wash through me, reminding me of what home is. Why I'm here.

The water is actually surprisingly calm in this moment. The small ripples swaying my board in a slow steady pattern as my fingers dance across the water. It's warm too. Warmer than normal.

The sun seems to be hitting the water just right, creating a sea of crystals sparkling in front of me. It's perfect. From the immaculate view to the heat of the sun blanketing my back to the warm water keeping me afloat. It's everything I need right now. I just wish Mia could be here to see it.

Mia.

Something isn't right. The peaceful calm of the sun and the lullaby of the ocean quickly fades from sight. The only thing still tethering me to this reality is the warmth in my hand. But it's not the water heating it.

My fingers twitch just slightly, enough to feel the strength they're wrapped in squeezing back.

I'm not on the water.

There's a quiet beep beside me now, the sound becoming louder, clearer with each breath. My throat is dry. So dry as I struggle to take another inhale, the action causing a sense of pain.

My hand.

I try to move my fingers again, feeling them clinging to him. My heart flutters within its walls. I don't have to open my eyes to find out where I am or what the hell happened. I don't need any of that in order to know that Tommy's beside me right now.

But why can't I open my eyes?

And that's when it hits me. When it all comes flooding back. Vince's hands on my throat, his knee pressing so damn hard into my stomach, the aching throb across my head. All of it comes rushing back. He's going to take Mia from me.

My eyes fight to open, their heavy veil demanding to stay shut.

"Mm..." I try to speak, but the words can't seem to find their way out.

"It's okay, baby. I'm right here," his voice falls over me, an instant warmth flooding my system.

"Mi..." I try again.

"Baby," he whispers, this time I feel his lips against my forehead. "Mia's okay. She's with Lacy. She's safe," he assures me.

I need to see him. Hearing him isn't enough. I ignore the seal gluing my eyes together and push with everything I have to open them. The first thing I feel is pain. The bright light immediately penetrating my vision, sending a sharp ache across my head. A sound manages to escape my lips as I feel his hand rest against my cheek.