50. Shift Change

Ladies and gentlemen, another meeting that could have been a post-it note

We've been assigned for the day but remain unreleased as Sergeant Barnes tells us about his family reunion that's happening this weekend. I swear, if he says one more thing about his cousin's amazing potato salad, I'm gonna storm out of here in protest. I'm not trying to be dramatic. I'm just officially hungry for potato salad now and since I'm about to start a shift, that craving is painfully out of reach.

I feel a sharp kick to my leg and my eyes shoot over to Jimmy at my right.

He ducks his head close to mine and drops his voice. "You wanna hit the Rib Shack before our shift tomorrow? I feel like potato salad."

At least I'm not the only one. "Count me in."

"Good," he mutters with a smirk. "We need to hang out before you switch shifts on me and move to daylights. Like you requested. For a woman."

"Not just any woman," I happily remind him. "The woman. I can't do this fucking swing shift anymore, man. I'm tired of always working or sleeping when she's free."

"Are you saying that being in love is making you crave structure?" Jimmy shakes his head but I don't miss the proud smile on his face. "Never thought I'd see the day but I'm glad you found someone important enough to change shifts for. I hope you enjoy Main Street, buddy."

Oh yeah, Main Street. Fitzgerald's territory. My penance for requesting daylight shifts means I'll be rotating more time on everyone's most hated beat.

It'll be a few months before we have any new rookies to send to that block and the Chief can't seem to find anyone that works it as well as I do. So, when I asked to work daylights, he was all too pleased to put me at Fitzgerald's mercy. I think he's still getting back at me for ditching on his cousin during that date from hell.

I'm good with it though. It's a small price to pay to free up my nights and evenings for a couple of my favorite girls.

"Alright guys," Barnes interrupts my thought as he hollers across the room, trying to get everyone's attention since literally no one is listening to him ramble on about his family reunion anymore. "Before you go, just a reminder that Safety Days are coming up in March and sign ups sheets are in back. If there's a school you'd like to visit, hurry up and claim it. If you're scheduled that day, we'll work shift swaps later."

I practically skip to the back. I've been waiting for this sign up sheet since the moment I found out Amber worked at a school. It was a small nugget of a plan back then but now that we're together, it's exploded into an epic scheme and a mission of love. What kind of boyfriend would I be if I didn't show up in uniform to watch my hot girlfriend drool over me in her workplace? The fact that Mia attends school there only makes it better.

"What's that on your wrist, man?" Alcott asks as I write my name alongside Bright Horizons Education Center. He waves his hand at my right arm, gesturing to the woven bracelet Mia gave me. "Did you go cute on me, Sallow?"