13. Unspoken Words

It's finally Sunday

It's finally Sunday. This week has shoved me down, dropped me in the middle of a swell, leaving me gasping for air. I'm barely hanging on, but today does have one thing I can look forward to. Sunday's carry a small moment in my day, in my week, where I have a moment of peace.

Running on Sunday started out as a way to step away from any of the stresses from the week. A moment to myself in order to check out from the realities of life. Over the last few weeks, those runs have been something I look forward to more and more. It's not just the escape either. I found even on days where I actually had a great week, or mornings where I was just too tired to lace up my shoes, that I still made my way to the beach. It wasn't the motivation to stay fit or follow a routine, it's the possibility of seeing those blue eyes and fluffy adorable little four legged friend.

Ever since our second encounter, we've managed to run into one another every single Sunday. I usually start my run alone, finishing it out with a walk alongside good company. There's something about walking that beach with Tommy. I look forward to it. To the ease of conversation, to the light humor he exudes, and that damn smile that always seems to appear when I'm attempting to be funny.

I've never had that with anyone. That pull toward someone where you spring out of bed just hoping to see them. That's what Sunday mornings have become. An inevitable desire to be on that beach at the same time each week. I'm sure this has been his routine for years. One that I seem to keep crashing, but as far as I can tell, he doesn't seem to mind it.

Seeing him yesterday was nice. It was a change in our usual encounters, a pleasant bonus to my weekend. The thing is, we weren't on the beach. We weren't alone either. There's something about being with him on this sand, looking out at the sun glistening against the water, that allows me to fully open up. It's like out here we have our own little bubble. Our own world.

What I know right now as I make my way down the beach is that I could really use the comfort of that bubble right now. To talk to someone about the shit of this week. Not just anyone either. Someone who reads me without having to say anything. Who understands what I'm saying when no words have actually been shared. The one person who I've come to this very beach for every single week.

Just as I make it to the same spot, my favorite ball of fluff joins me by my side. An automatic smile spreads across my face, bringing me a sense of joy that I was lacking these last few days. I'd be lying if I said it was just the dog that had my chest feeling a bit lighter. I slowly stand from Stella, pulling my eyes to my left to see Tommy standing with his usual smile.

"Hey," I automatically smile back.

"Hi. You ready to walk?"

I slowly nod before tapping the side of my thigh, signaling to Stella to join us. Her tail jolts her up, falling in at my side before she chases a bird toward the water. I can't help but laugh at her excitement.