34. Unexpected Guest

A series of events

A series of events. One item after the next, a checklist if you will. The only way I've been able to organize my thoughts the last few days is by shuffling them into categories of events.

Planning Mia's first birthday away from the home she's always known has added a lot of pressure to an already stressful day. Birthday parties are fun from the outside, but being behind the scenes of all the tiny details and decisions is a lot of work. Thankfully, it's not raining today, but it is December which means event number one was renting a few outdoor heaters seeing as my house is not big enough to be the sole source of the party. My dad should be bringing those by in about an hour, hence event number two, the arrival of backup.

I check the time again, trying to pace everything out. I still need to frost the cake, hang the streamers, finish Mia's hair and grab her party dress, and then hang a few signs outside. More series of events.

My mom is coming with my dad to help cut the fruit for the rainbow fruit display and put out snacks attached to cleverly labeled signs. Lacy is going to set up a face painting station and bring the balloons. I have about one hour before all of my help arrives.

In the meantime, I grab the ingredients to make the frosting for the cake in order to finish creating a magical masterpiece. Everything is lined across the counter around the mixer. Eggs, white chocolate, heavy whipping cream, sugar, and all the other little necessary items taking up the limited counter space I currently have. The plan is to create a colorful mane of frosting trickling down the side of the cake, complete with the gold horn I ordered online. This is one of my favorite things about her birthday parties. Creating the cake. It's a work of art, a centerpiece. Something that takes time and precision and always pays off in the end.

Before I get to work, I glance down at my cliche Mother of the Birthday Girl unicorn shirt. I hadn't planned to dress the part but when looking online for Mia's party dress, this little number popped up, creating the brightest smile on her face. That's all I needed to add it to the cart. I don't really want to walk around with colored frosting all over it though, so I decide it's probably best to cover it with an apron. Just as I reach for it, there is a sudden knock at the door.

An unexpected event.

I double check the clock to make sure I have the time right. I'm not upset for help to arrive early. I could definitely use a hand getting these streamers up so I can focus on getting Mia dressed once the cake is finished. I wipe my hands on the towel before making my way to the door, wondering which family member went rogue and decided to come to my rescue sooner than planned.

When I pull it open, the air is suddenly pulled from my lungs. I've literally lost the ability to breathe. Is that even possible?

"Hi, Amber," he says, a smile on his face. One I can't seem to return as I'm still frozen in place.

Breathe.

I have to keep telling myself how to inhale the air around me before I manage to finally speak. "Vince. What are you doing here?"