12. A Side of Salsa

This could be the comfiest booth inside the coziest restaurant in the whole, wide world

This could be the comfiest booth inside the coziest restaurant in the whole, wide world. Cushions made of the finest materials, soft fluffiness to rest your ass on. Maybe even take a nap. It wouldn't matter. I'd still be crawling out of my skin and shifting in my seat, eyes darting to the entrance over and over again. Anticipating.

Overeager.

It's the first time in what feels like forever that I'll be seeing Amber off the sand, away from the rippling ocean waves, and without Stella there as a buffer.

No, this is not a date.

Even though I wish it was.

I feel like the dynamic between the two of us has changed significantly over the last month or so. Sundays are officially my new favorite day of the week and I've never enjoyed walking more than I have with her by my side. Even if there's a small chance she only shows up to see the dog.

I think I can live with that.

Our interactions become more meaningful with every walk, making it feel like I've known her forever. She's more open, comfortable. I'm even seeing more of that fire of hers that I always knew was there.

And yet, I'm so nervous to see her tonight. Wondering what she'll say, hoping I'll be able to talk like a normal person under this new setting. Thankfully, Trevor and Lacy will be here, too, so it shouldn't be too crippling. And I know their presence will add a layer of comfort for Amber.

The door swings open and the three of them walk inside. Lacy and Trevor seem to be immersed in their own moment as he dips down to say something in her ear while they pause at the entrance. But I watch Amber's head turn slowly in a lowkey survey of the entire restaurant before her eyes land on mine.

She was looking for me. Goodbye normal heart rate.

Her hand comes up and gives me a small wave as she brings Trevor and Lacy's attention to the table I'm sitting at and they all head over. I stand up, ready to greet them. Lacy gives me a half hug and Trevor's hand comes out for me to shake before he guides Lacy to one side of the booth.

I turn to Amber, not knowing how to properly greet her in this setting. We don't usually hug or shake hands or have any physical contact on the beach. We just sort of meet up and start walking alongside one another. It feels natural for us but that doesn't mean I'm not dying to grab her hand or make contact somehow. I think about it every damn time I see her. But as always, I'm treading carefully, going against all my normal impulses to make sure she's comfortable.

Before I have to debate much longer on how to go about this greeting, I'm surprised to feel Amber reach down abruptly, grabbing my right hand into both of hers. I'm shocked at first, taken aback by her boldness, struck by the electricity in her touch. But it doesn't take long to realize what's gotten into her when I remember there's a pretty nasty looking cut on the top of my hand. Just a fun battle wound from today's little work adventure. The blood is dry now but it still looks pretty fresh and gross.