37. Ugly Parts

Space

Space.

My hate for that word is astounding. Sea levels deep, higher than Everest.

I thought it was rough when slow was the operative word between the two of us but space is so much worse.

Thankfully, work has kept me pretty busy for the last three days since the party. It's the only thing keeping me sane and not letting my mind wander to Amber every minute of the day, concerned about how things are going with Vince in town. I'm trying to mind my own business, trying to give her the time she wants. But fuck, I didn't know it was going to be this hard.

Vince's behavior at Mia's party was so fucking whack. Hot and cold, possessive while keeping a lowkey distance. Taking every opportunity to drape his hands over her with that fake smile plastered on his face, it was infuriating. Not to mention, his horrid and watchful eyes lingering on the woman who makes my world go round these days. It was torture. Even his posture pissed me off. It was like he was summoning every ounce of composure in him to make sure he appeared normal, pleasant.

It was hard to watch. But you know what the worst part of the whole thing was?

Amber only seemed half worried about it. And that scares the living shit out of me.

I don't know if it was just her walls going back up that made her painfully neutral that day or if she was actually falling for his act. But my guts have been twisting ever since, going back and forth between her physical safety and the mental influence Vince's presence might be having on her. I don't like this shit at all.

When I pull into her driveway, I take a minute to pause and collect myself, feeling unprepared for what kind of emotional state I'll find her in. But I'm also crawling out of my skin to see her, dying to feel her close to me. The fact that I'm about to catch a flight and spend the next week across the country from her makes me... sad. I knew I would feel some kind of way but I didn't expect to feel this upset.

I missed her. I fucking missed her and it's only been a couple days since I saw her. It's always like that with her now, even a few minutes feels like a lifetime and all I can think about is how long until we're in the same room again. I want to talk to her all the time, see her smile. I want to try all my new lame jokes on her and find out which ones finally make her crack into that cute laugh. That's the type of shit I think about now. Everything seems to come back to her which is exactly how I like it.

Because of that, I know I need to make the most of this visit and I intend to do just that, even if I'm short on time.

I reach for the gifts on the passenger seat, suddenly wishing I was spending Christmas in California so I could see them being opened by the two pretty girls I bought them for. I've never bought gifts for anyone besides family in my entire life and all I can think about is the face Mia might make when she sees what I got her. Maybe I can convince Amber to let her open it real quick before I leave. I'm so excited.