27. Ready to Run

Exhaustion

Exhaustion. The state of extreme physical or mental fatigue. I seem to have underestimated the weight of that word, not fully understanding its definition until I became a single mom working two jobs to stay afloat. All the while, striving to keep an ounce of normalcy infused into her days.

It's currently Thursday night, my actual night off. I signed up for Monday and Wednesday nights, after I've already worked a full day as a preschool teacher. I also signed up for Saturday nights. That's the shift that brings in the most money. The tips alone on that night cover my electric bill for the month. But now, here I am, covering a shift so Cierra could go to a concert. I get it, I was young once too. But now I'm far from the carefree concert days and am just flat out drained. In all senses of the word.

I keep checking the clock as I watch the final group sipping at their round of drinks. I've already cleared their plates and not so subtly slid them their bill. They walked in five minutes before closing. That means they still get a table, and I've just added at least an hour to my shift. Bright side, an extra hour of pay plus a large party tip. Downside, I'm going to miss bedtime, again.

Trina had warned me that the holiday season was rough, filled with extra hours and inflated tips. Don't get me wrong, the extra money has been amazing, especially with Mia's birthday and Christmas right around the corner. But it also means I'm being stretched exceedingly thin. Missing bedtime has been the worst part though. That has always been our thing. Even in the thickest of brewing storms, we had our quiet, safe escape in the magical realms of her room. A place Vince hadn't yet tainted.

Once the party finally throws back their last sips and I process their payment, they mozy out the doors. I quickly count out the tips, making sure to leave the proper amount for all contributing parties. I say my proper goodbyes, checking the time once more before jogging to my car. Well, Lacy's car. I'm getting close to getting my own, but again, holiday and birthday season has taken the front seat.

I pull into the driveway and jump out of the car. I quickly and quietly step through the door to see Lacy on the couch flipping through Netflix. My eyes swiftly scan for Mia, but I know it's no use. It's well past her bedtime though a small part of me was still hoping I would get to say goodnight.

"She in bed?" I ask, still banking on a tiny ounce of hope.

"Yeah," Lacy responds, scooting over for me to join her. "She was pretty tired."

I nod, letting the disappointment and guilt settle into its usual corner of my heart as I glance at the options on the screen. "You seen Bridgerton yet? Everyone at the restaurant keeps telling me to check it out." I question, plopping down my nearly lifeless body beside her as a very handsome man fills the screen, distracting me from my dismay.

Her eyes flash to mine, "Is that a joke?"

I meet her shock with an overly confused look. I'm not exactly sure how to respond. "No?"