23. My New Favorite Place

Turkey roasting in the oven, potatoes boiling on the stove, and football blasting from the living room

Turkey roasting in the oven, potatoes boiling on the stove, and football blasting from the living room. All things that remind me of Thanksgiving at home. I've missed the sounds of laughter rattling the walls in a home full of family. Thanksgiving in New York, while beautiful, was always empty. I cooked the same meal my mom made us every year, but there's something about cooking in a quiet house that eradicates the sense of joy the holiday has the potential of exuding.

This very aspect is the reason I made sure Tommy was here with us. I know what it's like to spend this day nearly alone. Vince usually spent most of the day with colleagues watching the game while I worked endlessly in the kitchen to provide the perfect meal. He always showed up just in time to eat and a bottle of whiskey in. I always expected it, prepared for it. And because of that, Thanksgiving was always a lonely holiday, even with Mia by my side. She's always been my only light in the dark night.

But now, now I'm surrounded by people, trying to maneuver my way around an already tight kitchen. My mom is busy pulling out and arranging all of the different salads we prepared last night while Lacy is attempting to do something with the potatoes. I'm not exactly sure what her end goal is here, but I thought the plan was mashed potatoes. Whatever it is she's doing seems to be deviating from that plan. When her eyes catch mine she lets out a deep breath, shrugging her shoulders in clear defeat. She is full of many talents, talents that I do not possess, but cooking is most definitely not one of them. Bless her heart for trying though.

I walk around the counter relieving her from such a high stakes task. I can see the look of relief wash over her as she takes a thankful step back. She reaches for the rolls now, placing them into the basket. That seems like a much more suitable task.

As I begin to mash the potatoes, a small movement outside catches my eye. A ball flies across the grass and not soon after a golden ball of fluff launches into view. I can't help but laugh at the tiny swirl of blonde hair now running after Stella. Tommy had asked if he could bring Stella with him today, and I knew without hesitation that Mia would be ecstatic over it. She hasn't left the yard since the moment Tommy walked in the door. Though their interactions are beyond adorable and seem to have me seriously questioning why I am still saying no to Mia having a dog, that is not where the majority of my focus is at the moment.

What I can't seem to keep my eyes or mind off of is the fact that Tommy has been in that yard playing with Mia and Stella this entire time. Trevor started out there with them both, but eventually he gave into the pull of the football game, joining our dad in the living room. I even went out there to let Tommy know she would be fine by herself, that I had a clear view of her from the kitchen. But he hasn't left. Not only that, but the honest smile on his face this entire time has something in me melting. I watch as Mia picks up the ball now, attempting to throw it across the yard. It takes a very peculiar route to the right before dropping only a few strides away from her.

Tommy quickly reaches for the ball, placing it back in Mia's hand and kneeling beside her. I can't quite tell what he's saying, but his hand pulls back, motioning a throw. Mia's eyes are glued to him and she slowly nods her head. She pulls her arm back and I can see him adjust her elbow slightly before saying something else. As he nods his head, her arm flies forward, sending the ball across the yard. Okay, so it wasn't all the way across, but my girl just threw a fucking liner. That warm patter of my heart ignites. A very proud mama moment washes over me, but a whole other swell of emotions take flight as Tommy jumps up with his arms in the air. Mia jumps with him as they both do some ridiculous celebration before ending with a high five.