46. White Flag

I've never been so fucking happy in my life

For a guy who prefers a schedule, likes to be on time, needs to know where we're going and when, I'm sure loving this whole fly by the seat of my pants thing.

Our New York style date the other day was the first and only planned thing Amber and I have done together on this trip. For one thing, I wanted to make it special, intentional. But we also needed a plan because she was right, we wouldn't have left her hotel room otherwise.

I know that because we locked ourselves in that hotel room for two days after.

I have no regrets.

Spending every minute with her, only coming up for air when it was necessary to nourish our bodies with actual food and breathe fresh air from time to time, has been perfect in every way. But I know for a fact I wouldn't enjoy this change of pace the same if it wasn't for her. Amber is the only one I want to toss those old tendencies out the window for, the only one I enjoy disappearing with and forgetting the world for a while. But unfortunately, we had to come out of hiding.

We're back at Sadie's house now. Mom is here, holding my woman captive in the kitchen while I try to mentally prepare myself for the two hour drive to the federal prison where my dad is locked up.

I don't want to go. It seemed like a good idea before, being the one to bite the bullet for my family's sake, getting the hard conversation out of the way. But fucking hell, if my nerves aren't getting to me now that it's almost time for me to leave.

"Amber," I call out toward the kitchen, my voice wracked with anxiety.

"Leave her alone," Sadie laughs beside me, half distracted as she threads a fancy braid into June's wavy brown hair. "She's bonding with Mom. You stole her away from us for two days and you know how needy we are. You have to share the love."

"You guys get her all afternoon while I'm gone," I point out, feeling like a deprived bundle of emotions. I swear, twenty minutes away from her and I don't know how to act right.

Amber comes dancing around the corner, hands up and covered in flour, a concerned look on her face. "What's up?"

Fuck, she looks so good right now. All relaxed and natural, hair up in a messy ponytail, her cheeks flushed that pretty pink I love. She's happy and carefree. Content.

My eyes travel her body, trying to catch a glimpse of her silky skin but she's all covered up in jeans and a sweater and her perfect tits are hidden behind an apron. What I'd like to say to her as she stares back at me with those curious caramel eyes is that she's wearing too much clothing and I'd like to strip her down naked again. But we're among family at the moment.

"What are you doing?" I ask her instead, knowing full well what she's doing but I need to make conversation, hear that sweet voice, keep her next to me for another minute so I can look at her.