Chapter 26

It was Saturday. Normally, Team's favorite day of the week. It means no school, no learning, just sometimes swim training. But this Saturday the swim training was canceled. Mostly because Dean wanted to give them a break before the upcoming tests. With the swim training canceled, Team had decided to visit his mother. Well, it was not really a "decision" because she almost forced him to. "You haven't visited me for so long." "When do you plan on visiting me again, Team?" "Let's have dinner together.." Team knew what his mother meant by saying that. The boy practically had no other choice but to accept the invitation for dinner with her. He knew how important it was for his mother. And he also knew that she would never forgive him if he turned it down.

Team was sitting in his car, for what felt like hours. He did not want to get out. He did not want to see his mother, because he already knew what she would ask him. "How is school going?" "How is your scholarship?" "Have you already planned what to do after school, besides swimming?" His mother has never really supported his dream of becoming a professional swimmer. She always wanted him to focus on his studies and become a lawyer or something like that. But Team has always struggled in school. Especially with Maths. He was not that smart..not as smart as Hia Win. He was afraid of the questions she would ask him. But most of all he was afraid of his mother mentioning Araya and their engagement. He knew how much she wants this marriage.

Team was nervous. His hands were shaking when he rang the bell of his mother's house. When she opened the door, she smiled at him widely. "Team. Honey. What took you so long? I had been waiting for you. Come in." Team did not answer. He tried to fake a smile, but the boy was not really in the mood for a "family dinner". Soon after, his mom and his grandparents were sitting at the table.

It did not take long and the topic Team was most afraid of was on. "Have you thought about it? Have you thought about the wedding?", his mother asked. "Don't forget how important this job is for me. Araya is a nice girl. Having her as daughter-in-law would make me really happy" she said. Team was sitting on the couch in his mother's living room, burying his face into his hands. "Mom, we..we are both only 18 years old. I have never thought about marriage before" Team said with a desperate voice. "Is it because of that girl you're always hanging out with? she asked again. "No! How often do I have to tell you? Manaow is NOT my girlfriend. We are just friends!" "So, what is your problem with Araya?" "I have no problem with Araya. She is nice and cute..but..I..I just don't want to get married yet." Team's mother looked at him with a disappointed look on her face. "Team, Araya's father is my boss and he has promised to give me a better job after the wedding is done. We need the money. Please. I work so hard every day. I work so hard for you to go to school. I work so hard for you to become the professional swimmer you always wanted to be. Not accepting Araya's proposal could make me lose my job. You could lose your scholarship. We would lose everything. Our house..everything. Please, Team. Don't do this to us." That was exactly what Team was most afraid of. He did not want to be responsible for his mother losing her job. But what was he supposed to do? Marrying Araya, even though he does not love her? Marrying a person he does not love to make his mother proud and to make sure they will have no financial problems in the future? Is this really the right thing to do?

Team was laying in his bed. Thinking about what his mother said. On one hand, she was right. She would lose her job if he won't accept Arayas proposal. But was he really able, to marry a person he was not in love with? He liked Araya. He has always liked her. But..he does not love her. Being with her was fun. But..he does not feel the same warm feeling he feels in his stomach when he was..with him. Team shook his head. "I have to forget him. Hia is gone. Hia has a girlfriend. Hia has no feelings for me. Hia moved on..and so must I", he whispered to himself. "Maybe this is the only solution..to get over him," he thought while staring at the ceiling.