Chapter 8

"How was you're third day in school?" Yusuf ask through the other line.

"Ugh, it's been so stressful..." I whine on the phone.

"But enough about me, how's Seattle?"  I haven't seen Yusuf for two months, he went to Seattle to live with our Uncle Isaak on July. They both fast together, and had a celebration without us, that was the first time in my life where Yusuf wasn't here for Eid. But he will be for the next one inshallah.

"Good, Alhumdulilah...but," Yusuf's voice trails off.

"But?"

"I miss my little Fia and Bri-bri." Yusuf says in a goofy tone.

I roll my eyes though he doesn't see me.

"Oh my ..." I chuckle loudly, it's been a long time since I heard those names.

"But I'll be back to meet you guys, tell mom I said hello." I can tell by the way his voice sounds his giving a dork smile right now.

"Why can't I give her the phone to her?"

"Because, you know mom. Once I say 'it's Yusuf' she starts crying."

"Right. Bye?" I questioned.

"Bye." He replies, I hang up the phone.

The door opens. "Who was that?" Abeera beams with joy.

"Knock when you come in here!" I throw a pillow across the room at her, luckily it smacks her face.

"Ow!"

"It's a pillow." I roll my eyes.

"Who was on the phone." Abeera picks up the pillow, tossing it back to me.

"Yusuf, who else?"

She gives me a devilish grin, making the confusion on my face grow.

"What?"

"Yusuf, huh." She says cheekily.

"Yeah?" I shrug, did she want to talk to him or something.

"I've notice something..." She strolls through my room, standing in front of me.

"And that is?"

"Whenever you're on the phone you say it's Yusuf, or some other person." She rubs her chin.

"Your point?"  I ask bluntly.

"But then I said, 'Sofia doesn't have friends' who could that person be?" I roll my eyes again, she acts like she's all high and mighty, when she's only a ten year old.

"Abeera what do you want."

"Who's the guy you keep calling?" She jumps up, her eyes full of questions and judgements. I stand up from my bed, using my height as an advantage for once.

"You think I'm talking to a boy?" It sounded much more funny saying it out loud. Abeera backs up from me, probably trying to make an escape.

She doesn't speak, just shrugging her shoulders, unbelievable.

"Abeera. Why would I talk to a guy?" I sit back down on my bed, meeting eye level with her.

"You're getting old..." Abeera whispers.

"Seventeen is old?" I scoff loudly.

"Your birthday is coming up..." She looks down at the floor. Great, now I've embarrassed her.

"Yusuf is twenty one and his still not married, now is he?" Abeera shakes her head no.

"His a guy..." She's been brainwashed.

"And I'm a girl, thanks for the obvious."

Sometimes I worry about our culture, it makes women look like there nothing. You don't understand how much I support women's rights.

"Okay." Abeera heads to the door, running out of my room like a cartoon. She's a weird child.

Did she really think I'd talk to a guy? Even if I did, who would it even be.