Chapter 39

Adam attacked Zafir because of me? What, that doesn't even make sense. I told him to be softer on Zafir since he was nervous and all but instead he attacks him.

"My mom said she's on her way." Ifrah says, sitting besides me on the bench.

"Okay." I look up at her smiling.

"That was crazy." Ifrah says. "What did Zafir say to you?"

I shrug my shoulders. "Adam doesn't like that fact Zafir and I are friends." I scoff.

He acts like he owns me. 'Stop hanging out with him.' His not my mom.

"Maybe he gets jealous." Ifrah shrugs.

I grimace. Ifrah acts like me and Adam are more than friends. We aren't. I'm even considering to never speak to him anymore.

"Don't confuse anger issues with jealously." I say, which was true. Adam has an anger problem that he really needs to fix.

Ifrah nods. "Why are you guys friends?" Ifrah ask.

My mind knew the answer, but I wanted to keep that to myself so I just shrug my shoulders.

"Don't know really."

"What are you planning to do?"

"Me? Maybe.. just ignore him. I mean it's not like I'll ever see him again after highschool is over." I try to say carelessly, but something deep down in me felt sad at the idea I will never see Adam, but I quickly brush that off. I won't see anyone from high school in the future. Adam included.

We hear a loud honk from afar and we both stand up. Shire was here, waiting for us. Once we got into the car she drives us home.

"How was the game?" Shire ask.

"Interesting." Ifrah says, eyeing me.

"Definitely." I agreed.

~×~

I was dreading the fact that I had to go to school because it would mean I'll have to try extra hard to not speak to Adam. And it'd mean Zafir will tense up whenever I'm near him. It's like his afraid of me. Ifrah called me last night, talking about how one of her class changed which means we now both have lunch and math together. I forgot that Ifrah was also a math nerd like me.

I almost forgot that Abdul was now living with us. I always would put a hijab on and appreciate clothes. I didn't have to, but I felt more comfortable that way. And it was a big change for me. To wearing tanktops and shorts to wearing hijabs and long shirts with sweatpants indoors. I was slowly getting use to it.

But Abdul living with us was literally on the last thing on my mind. Adam was the only thing I've been thinking about so far.

Last night he had called me nearly six times. I thought that after the fouth time he'd call me I would answer but luckily I didn't. Since calling me didn't work he also texted me, but I kept deleting his messages. Apart of me is so proud of myself, and the other part of me is wondering what Adam was thinking/doing right now. And why did he need to contact me.

"Sofia it's seven! Wake up Abeera." My mother shouts loudly from downstairs.

"Okay!" I say from the bathroom, trying to tie my hair in a bun.

I went to Abeera's room, noticing how peaceful she looked. She was in her pink pajamas that had small ponies on them. Aw.

I slowly took her pillow out and started wacking her with it like she did to me once.