Chapter 23

"What." I say.

"Hmm?" He hums. 

"I heard you." 

"I didn't say anything." Adam lies. 

"Yeah you did." 

"What did I say than?" He shoves his hands in his pockets, as we wait for my bus

"You said 'I wasn't' about you joking about calling me pretty." I shouldn't be making this conversation any awkward than it already is. 

Adam scoffs. "Can't you take a joke." 

Ouch. So I guess he didn't mean what he said. I shouldn't care anyways, I'm only talking to him because of his scars. That has to be the only reason why I'm talking to him.

After a couple of seconds Adam speaks up.

"Crap. I didn't mean it like that."

"It's fine." I try to think of something else to talk about.

"You sure?" He looks at me with concerned eyes.

I nod. Not trusting my voice for the first time.

I feel the weight on my shoulders go away, once my bus pulls up.

"Bye Adam."

"Text me, please."

I look up at him, his blue eyes dark, and his black hair messed up. I haven't gotten a good look at him today, I need to change that soon. How else would I tell if his feeling bad.

"I will, bye." I promise, walking to my bus.

.      .     .

Once I go home I prayed Asr with my mother and sister. I made a call to my brother Yusuf to see how's he doing in Seattle and when he'll be with us for thanks giving break. Which of course is in November. I made dua's for him of course. My mother and I have been sending some money to him, though he has a good job that pays extremely well. 

It wasn't a shocker that my mother loved Yusuf more than me, but she never admits it. She says she loves us all equally. Even Abeera can tell our mom puts Yusuf in a special place in her heart. I remember all the drama we had last year when I was a junior. I would always say things like, 'oh you know I exist now?' or 'go ask Yusuf to do it since his better at everything' which was true. Yusuf was better than me at everything. Literally everything. I'm not the type of person to get jealous over my relatives. But you can't blame me.

I was like his slave. I cooked for him, I brought food to his room. Of course he always says thank you, and smiles whenever I cook something for him, but it was his friend Ahmed that ticked me off. He was such a follower. Whenever me and Yusuf got into an argument Ahmed pops up out of nowhere taking Yusuf side. Even when Yusuf is  wrong. 

It's not like I hated the boy. But in all honesty I really did hate Ahmed. He was so annoying. Me and Abeera would plot evil plans to ruin his friendship with Yusuf but of course it didn't work, once Yusuf found out he practically banned us from his room.

But we had great moments to. I didn't realize how much I'd miss him being here. The house is so quiet without him. And of course our mom is calling him 24/7. 

"Hello?" I hear Mira's raspy voice on the other line.

"Hey."

"Why'd you call me? I was sleeping." She groans.

"Because, Adam just called me pretty that's why." I lock my door, laying down on my bed.

"What? Haram." Mira snaps.

"I know."

"Cut him off already." Mira whines.

"I can't."

"Why? You're getting a bad image wallahi. And what would your mom think once she hears about you and him." Mira says in a worried tone.

"Whoa, you're acting like I'm dating him." 

"Well that's what people are gonna think. Just tell him to leave you alone." Mira says kindly.

She doesn't know the real reason why I'm talking to him. It's cause of him self-harming himself. And being suicidal, but now look. His improving. I'll leave him alone once he doesn't need someone to talk to. 

"I can't, sorry."

"Ugh, Sofia."

"Ugh, Mira." I mock her hearing her laugh. 

My phone vibrates, showing me a message from Adam. My eyes lit up, and I feel happy a bit.

"Well you can go back to sleep now." 

"Thank you." Mira hangs up.

*hi* the message reads.

*hey !* 

*i am soo bored* 

*me too* I send 

*my dad's officially living with me and my mom :( *

*that sucks* I send.

*i hate him*  

*why?* 

*call me* I didn't want to call him. His much more opened in text, than with words.

*no* I send.

*i'll tell you y i hate him if i can call u*

*ok fine* 

Seconds later my phone ring, and I quickly click the answer button. 

"Hello?"

"So, tell me why you have a bad relationship with your dad."

"What a great way to start a conversation."

"Well that was kinda the reason why I called you." I say carelessly. I hated whenever he tries to act like he doesn't know what's happening at moments.

"Okay, okay. It's a long story. But here's why I dislike my father so much."