Chapter 52

"Adam." Zafir clears his throat awkwardly. "May I have a word with you." Sofia tenses, looking at the two in utter confusion. 

"Why of course." Adam mocks Zafir's polite tone. "I'll be right back." He turns to Sofia, and then leaves with Zafir.

   The two walk pass all the other tables, and head outside. Zafir looked back at Sofia, who no doubt about it had her eyes on Adam, and that angered him. It's Adam who had made Sofia not want to be with him. Adam ruined everything, this is all his fault.

"Well?" Adam says impatiently. "I don't got all day."

"What did you tell Sofia?" 

Adam scoffs. "Nothing."

"Don't lie to me." He hisses, grabbing onto Adam's caller. 

Adam chuckles."Or else what? We both know I can whoop your ass, so don't even try acting all high and mighty. You'll only get a black eye. Again." 

Zafir grimaces at Adam. "What did you tell her?!"

"Nothin'! Damn, but you are a sick fuck I'll tell you that." He points at Zafir.

"Oh shut up, you've messed around with Maya also." Zafir defends himself.

"Yeah, but who got her pregnant?" 

Zafir's eyes becomes wide open. He stared at Adam in shock, his heart started racing. He can only hope he heard him wrong. But Adam's sly smirk tells him either wise. 

 Maya.. is pregnant? And its Zafir's. What.. but this could mean everything is over for him. He has made a serious sin. And Adam is just laughing about it, how fucking dare he.

"Should've wrapped it up pal." Adam pats Zafir shoulder, ready to head back to the cafe shop. But a hard punch causes him to turn back at Zafir. 

He turns his hand to a fist, ready to aim at Zafir's cheek.'His not worth your time' Adam tells himself. He gives Zafir a pity look and continues to walk inside the cafe shop almost like Zafir hadn't assaulted him. 

"What? No fighting back?" He could hear Zafir say as he enters the shop. 

Sofia's worried eyes finally meet his. "Adam what happened?" She gasp at his bloody lip.

 He turns to her with careful eyes. "Nothing. Nothing happened." 

"D-did Zafir hit you?!" 

"Don't worry about it."

"Oh my god." Sofia covers her mouth, staring at his lip with wide eyes. She reaches her hand out to examine it, but she remembers that she can't. "Adam.. what happened.." she repeats the question.

"Sofia there's a reason why I think the baby isn't mine." He says out of the blue. 

 Sofia shakes her head. How could Adam think of that discussion when he has a busted lip! "That topic can wait. Will you look at your lip! We need to get ice on it.. like now!"

"The baby's father is Zafir. Not mine." He said, getting guilty of holding the truth. "I know you won't believe me.. but it's the truth. And I want you to hear it."

Sofia's hands drop. She slowly shook her head at Adam.

"It's true. He'll deny it and Maya will too, but it's his. That's why he had punched me, because he realized that he has no chances in being with you." Adam watches her, studying her face carefully.

Sofia scoffs. "You're sad." 

"What?" Adam frowns. 

"Zafir? Out of all the people you know, you had to pick Zafir as Maya's baby's supposably father? You do realize that Zafir lives in a very religious family. He finished the Q'uran and memorized it too. He has been substituting at my local mosque when my formal teacher left the country. He gives zakat- oh wait  you don't know what that means." Sofia grabs her head angrily, forgetting that she's speaking to a kafir. Adam winces at Sofia's insult. 

"The fact that you even think that Zafir would be capable of such acts just shows me how low you really are Adam. I mean really, I have no problem with you being the father of Maya's baby. I could care less!" Sofia bits back the truth. "But if you don't take full responsibility of this child and say its somebody's else.. then I don't see the point of..." she waves her hands at the two of them. "Us. We can't be friends or whatever. Cause honestly what you're saying is pathetic and sad." She walks passed a very wounded Adam and heads outside of the cafe, but than abruptly stops. 

How could she forget she's miles away from her house. 

"Can you.. drive me home." She says awkwardly. Adam tries his best to not have a cocky grin, but he fails. "Ya know what. Never mind." Sofia says irritatedly. 

"No! Sorry, yeah I'll drive you home. But you have to hear me out through the ride." 

"I don't even want to look at you." 

"Sofia please." He begs. 

She bats her eyes at him and walks to his truck. "Fine." she huffs out angrily as Adam unlocks the car. He reaches out to open the car door for her, but she refuses the gesture and does it herself. 

Once Adam pulled out of the parking lot, he stopped at a red light. Sofia can feel his eyes staring at her, but she doesn't allow herself to give in and turn to him. 

"I don't blame you for not believing me for a second. You know that right?" He darts his head to me and to the road. "If I were in your position I would think I'm crazy. Heck- even out of my damn mind. You must even think that I'm only saying its Zafir's just to avoid the baby being mine, but I would never do anything like that." 

"Well I wouldn't know." she mutters under her breath. 

"What is it that you want? Proof? You want evidence that the baby is Zafir's and not mine?" Adam ask.

Sofia scoffs. "I want you to drop this nonsense and take full responsibility for the baby!"

"What do I need to do to make you believe me?" 

"Could we just stop talking about this." Sofia turns to the window, her face hardens. "What are you doing? You skipped the turn." 

"And?" Adam chuckles. "Till you answer my question I'll drop you off. But if you don't..." he trails off in a mysterious tone.

"But if I don't what?" she says irritatedly. 

"How far do you think Seattle is from Washington DC?" Sofia can notice the sly smirk printed on his plumped pink lips.

"Adam you wouldn't.." 

"Answer my questions quick enough then we might be able to turn back."  She could tell that he wasn't bluffing at all.

"Fine." She sighs.