Chapter 14

I didn't find Adam anywhere today, he was no where to be found in advisory. I hope he didn't hear what I said, though I have no clue about his home issues I still worry about him staying home. He mentioned his father being a Muslim which made me incredibly happy, but I should of kept my opinion to myself.

I still won't forget that look he gave me; the look of disgust.

I didn't pay much attention to Mira and her friends at lunch, I just glance at them, surprise that none of them ask if something was wrong. Even Mira didn't ask. Mira out of all people. I didn't feel hungry like I usually am, plus the disgusting hot dog and apple didn't look so tasty. But I should always be grateful. 

I take a bit off of the hot dog, nearly spitting it out. 

"Are you okay Sofia?" A voice calls to me, I nod though I don't know who said that. I rush to the trashcan, spitting it out. 

People passes by me, staring at me with scared eyes. What are they scared for? For all I know they should be fearing the meal today.

I dump my trey, rushing to the bathroom. I needa wash my mouth as quickly as possible. 

"Sofia?" I hear Adam's voice from a distance. 

I turn around facing him. His eyes dark and cold, but still covered by his bangs. He wore the same outfit as yesterday, and the day before that...and the day before that, but I got used to it so I could careless.

"Um, hi. What are you doing here?" I ask him, I notice that whenever I spoke to him, it was always slow and calm like. 

"Skipping lunch." He shrugs. I meant to ask what was he doing here in school, I thought he was absent.

"Oh." I nod awkwardly, staring down at the floor. 

"Well, see you later Adam." I say, turning around but he calls to me. 

"Sofia-" I turn back facing him, he locks his eyes with mine. "Actually...never mind." He puts his hands in his pockets. 

"Hey Adam, how come you're skipping lunch?" I ask him. He changes his gestures, and looks anywhere but at me. 

"I don't know." He says leaning in and back from his toes.

"Oh." 

"Well, see you later." Adam says finally looking back at me. 

I nod not knowing what else to say. He walks away, to the opposite side of the hall. Whistling to himself.

I wished I had at least one class with Adam, just to make sure he was okay somehow, but I knew that'll never happen.

I did enjoy the fact that he was now speaking to me about some of his problems, it made me feel like he trusted me in a way.

The halls were getting more quiet by the minute, people rushing into there classes. The bell hasn't rung yet, so I had time to go to my last class.

"Attention all students, this is a lockdown. Please go to the nearest classroom to you."

My heart started bounding, I was still in the halls. Doors where slamming shut left and right. I tried opening one door, and started knocking on it, but they didn't let me in. This is just great. This better be a stupid practice one like it usually is.

"Sofia." A voice hiss.

I turn around spotting Adam in a storage room. He waves his hand over to me. It's better than nothing I guess.

I walk across the hall to him, as he shuts the door. The storage room wasn't as large as I was hoping it would be. Dust was on the counters, and floors. The dim light was hung over our heads, flicker off and on. Old books where on the floor scattered everywhere. It made me get chills. I'm in a room alone with Adam, how great is that?

"Are you cold?" He ask me, noticing me shivering. I nod.

He takes his black sweater off but I quickly stop him. "I'm not that cold." I lie to him, I was freezing, but there was no way I'm gonna wear his sweater.

"I can tell." Adam says sarcastically. He keeps his sweater on, luckily pushing his bangs back and his hood off, reveling his ocean colored eyes.

A moment of silence kicks in until he speaks again.

"I stopped cutting." Adam says out of the blue. I feel relief taking over me.

I give a small smile. "That's good to hear."

"I figured since you would catch me again, why do it." Adam shrugs. I was hoping that wasn't the reason, but as long as he stops I'm good with it.

"Can I see it."

"See what?" Adam looks at me with worried eyes I assume.

"Your wrist." I say. I wanted to know how many cuts his made.

"I'd rather not." Adam's expression changes.

"Please." I beg.

"There's a lot."

"I don't care." I look down at his arm.

He rolls up his sleeve slowly. I gasp covering my mouth in horror. There where seven cuts made on his wrist, each far apart from the other. I was expecting two or four, but seven?! There's only so much I can take.

"Please don't cry." Adam whispers.

I didn't notice the tears that where escaping my eyes. Until he mentioned it.

I whip my tears away. "Sorry." I say to him.

"Adam, why would someone do this to themselves?" I ask, the lump in my throat growing. More tears where falling, and I absolutely hated it.

"Sofia." Adam looks down at me with hurt eyes.

He towered ever me, staring down at me. "There's many reason. It's a fucked up world." He shrugs it off, rolling down his sleeves.

"I hate it." I mutter.

"Me too."