Chapter 44

Sofia cheered as her school team won their first game. Adam running with his hands up, and a bright smile on his face. The whole soccer team jumps up in victory. The coach makes his way over to Adam and gives him a high five, because it was Adam who broke the tie from the two teams. Making the scoreboard 4 to 3. The other team lower their heads in shame, their coach looking at them with anger and disappointment.

Sofia quickly follows the large crowd that were congratulating the team. She goes in search for Adam, but to many people were blocking her view of him.

"Sofia!" She turns around to the voice that was shouting her name. Her eyes widen and she smiles, and moves toward Zafir. She would've ignored his voice if she knew Adam saw her, she would've walked to him, but she didn't notice him, she notice Zafir.

"You came." Zafir says out of breath, as people walk pass him to congratulate Adam who wasn't focusing since Zafir was next to Sofia. He tries to tear his eyes off from the two, and takes a couple pictures with the school photographers. Still hard for him to go near Sofia since there's a shit load of people surrounding him, and congratulating him.

"Yeah. Congrats! You guys finally won a game." Sofia smiles brightly, but her eyes kept wondering off to the large crowd that were around Adam.

Zafir obviously notices and it makes him feel useless. He gives a fake smile though, to make it seem like he doesn't notice.

"Thank you. I saw your mother, she's really nice." Zafir looks down nervously, his chest feels tight, and his heart is pounding with pain. Pain because he knows Sofia didn't come for him like her mother said she did, she came for Adam. She loves Adam, she doesn't love Zafir. And just the thought of that makes him want to sob.

Zafir was use to girls liking him, and never lowering their gazes. And for the first time Sofia isn't like those girls. And for the first time Zafir is falling for someone. He knows his only torturing himself by doing this, but he can't help it. Adam isn't even Muslim! How does it feel like he has more chances being with her than he does?

"Thanks, she is." Sofia turns to look up at him, she notices the hurt expression on his face and immediately looks at him with concern. "What's wrong? She didn't annoy you did she? I swear my mom can get a little rude at times but-"

"No, it isn't that." Zafir cuts her off with a small chuckle. "Nothing is wrong. I'm just glad you came." Zafir knows he shouldn't walk off, but he does. He can't stand in front of Sofia any longer, when half of the words his saying to her doesn't matter. She doesn't care about him does she? She only cares about that kafir.

Sofia watches Zafir walk off, with his head hanging low and his body all stiff. She tries to think nothing of it. She tries to-

"Hey!" Adam jumps from behind her and she almost gets a heart attack. "Sorry about the crowd, it's just ..I'm famous now." Sofia giggles and gives him a soft shove.

"Whatever! Congrats on the game, that was a close tie."

"Thanks, now all we gotta do is go against two more schools than we'll be playing other schools in different cities. Hopefully we-" Adam explains but Sofia is too blinded by his bright honey colored eyes to pay any attention, and his messy hair that too many people put their hands on. His brows darker than ever, and his jawline still sharp as it was earlier. He looks even more fit in his lose jersey surprisingly. His lips looks like a light shade of pink, and once he wets it with his tongue-

Sofia's face flushes when she realizes she isn't lowering her gaze. Adam continues to speak though Sofia has no idea what his saying since she is only paying attention to his appearance more so than his words.

"...and that's basically it. Will you be there?" Adam says.

"What."

"The next game we're playing against Quin high school. You coming?" So that's what Adam was rambling about? Wanting to know if Sofia will be going to the game or not. Her heart skips a beat, this is the third time Adam has asked her to go to his game, this has to mean something doesn't it?

She finds herself nodding.

"Good. I gotta get back to the coach to take more photos. You wanna take one with me?" Adam ask, and Sofia smiles fondly.

"Yes." She follows behind Adam, as they try to slide through the large crowd that were giving Adam high fives, but also giving him a questioning look as to why a Muslim girl was with him.

"Coach, can I take a few photos with just me and my friend?" He gestures to Sofia. Friend? Sofia knows she probably has the biggest smile plastered on her face. She's so over whelmed but at the same time enjoying every moment.

"Of course!" The coach smiles at Sofia, "Kim! Can you take a picture of these two."

. . .

The ride back home was mostly silent, Sofia's mother speaking to her here and there. They pull up to their garage and park. The two of them hopping out of the van.

Sameya (Sofia's mothers name) stops Sofia before she rings the doorbell. Sofia looks at her questionably, but waits for her to speak.

"Is there something going on with Zafir? He looked really.. upset." Sameya says, looking at her daughters golden brown eyes that show even more confusion in them.

Sofia shakes her head. Zafir looked happy out on the field, and when he spoke to her he looked somewhat okay. But why does Sameya care what happened to Zafir. She brings him up too many times, if she thinks Sofia and Zafir are a thing than she's greatly mistaken.

"Oh, well when I was speaking to him before the game he was just joyful," Sameya explains, "but than after the game he looked out of it."

"Okay? Well, he looked fine to me." Sofia says, but means it in a way to say: why does his health concern you, and since when did he matter to you.

Sameya realizes that by the tone in Sofia's voice, and quickly says,"I'm just curious since I'm Raha's friend." She saves herself by saying that. Though she does have her reasons of always bringing up Zafir, but poor Sofia has no clue.

Sofia shrugs and moves around Sameya to open the front door, since staying outside in the cold weather was making her freeze.

"Bismilah." They both say as they step foot into the front door, meeting Abdul and Abeera who were doing some homework on the kitchens table.

Sofia was trying to get use to this, trying to get use to seeing Abdul home every single day. All those days when she needed someone to be the father figure in her life. And now that their here she can't accept it.

She doesn't want to get her heart shattered, because even though she hasn't admitted it to herself she knows that the real reason she tries to distant herself from Abdul is because she's afraid he'll die just like her real dad did.

She doesn't want to have to go through all of that again. That's why she never speaks to him in the dinner table, or give him a simple 'asalamu alakum' because its too complicated for her.

Sofia quickly goes up to her room, and dives into her bed. Hoping sleep will wash away the growing headache. And the thoughts of Adam at the game, and how he called her his friend. And how he wanted to take pictures with her.

Her heart keeps stopping whenever she sees him, it happens so often that she doesn't even notice it anymore. And just thinking about him makes her face flush.

Why is she feeling this way now? She can't possibly fancy Adam.. but maybe she does..

Yup, sleep is what she needs.