The hearing.

After countless attempts to connect to Brian, everything remained futile. We tried contacting his manager, secretary and everybody else. We even called up Candice but nobody seemed to pick our call.

His managers replied he is on a break and will not be replying to anyone for a while. Even when Mr Stanley tried there wasn't much avail, his manager curtly replied they are not gonna let Brian entangle in a legal problem.

We told Mr Stanley it's okay, we must not tarnish his reputation. I laid on the bed with my eyes fixed on the ceiling, the future appears bleak, we are obfuscated on what should be done. As a last resort I tried calling Allan but as usual the line doesn't exist.

Unable to comprehend what to do next, I sat on my bed in Indian style hunching forward with my head resting on my hand. Grandpa... I remembered.
I knew how much of bad blood is there between the old man and brian but still he is my last resort.

Grabbing my phone which I threw on the bed in despair, I rang upto grandpa glancing at the clock. It was half past two at night. Appropriate time to call an old man on his medicine I scolded myself,but do I have an option. The phone rang several times but nobody picked it up. I tried sending a voice message.

Grandpa hardly checks his phone let not voice messages.

I could hear the footsteps of Mike pacing in the hallway. He must be anxious, but aren't we doomed. Without a frail hope I lay sleepless on my bed.

__________________________________________

The day of hearing
__________________________________________
I have never been in a court room before , the approbation gnawed my insides. We knew we are gonna face our apparent peril for the crime we didn't do.

When we reached there we realised our lawyer opted out of the case. Even the tiny frail of hope was crushed beneath the wheels of misfortune.

"Elena, I really wish to know. Who hates us so much, to frame us, trying so hard to kill us and now has bribed our lawyer. But why? I can't find the motive here" Mike said.

For once, I never had an answer to his rather than my tear filled eyes....

There was no one and nothing to save us now.

It was apparent that we are gonna lose.
The hearing nearly came to an end.

The lawyer on the other side, was accusing us as if we plotted and killed her. He even accussed that I was jealous of her relationship with Mike.

We just stated what happened, Mike appeared tired, the cheerful carefree Mike I knew was no more. A worried and hopeless young man burdened by the misfortunes of life stood in front of me.

We lost the case.

Only thing left is the punishment for no mistake of ours. I pretty much lost my faith in this country's law system. It was evident we were being played. Yet the law needs proof.

Here only the affluent can survive, when  an ordinary man fight against them. We would lose no matter what.

Stanley tried his best explaining we are not guilty but the opposing lawyer was really articulate stating every attack on us was self inflicted.

Stanley lost his tranquility and yelled, self inflicting in front of the cops office ? It was a sniper shot, lethal cut the girl must be dead if not for her luck, the boy was  kidnapped and severely tortured .

Stanley was the only person fighting for us. But nothing could save us now. We knew not what to do. But it was really evident, the one who wanted us jailed has achieved their aim.

But one question still remains

Why?
_________________________