belittle

The cops ushered me out of the store Someone must have already dialled the cops. Our car stood there stark alone, my eyes searching for Mike who was nowhere to be found.

"Officer, my friend is missing" I informed

,............................................

Three days have passed, there had been no news about Mike.

Aghast,I cringed. I dialled the number of the officer again but then chose otherwise.

Is is going to make any difference? I seriously doubt. I informed Mike's parents, they were mad at me.

My parents haven't called me since I was entangled in this mess of a case.

Garnering up the last frail hope I trudged out of the apartment. Checking on the bolt more than twice still feeling unsure , I descend down the stairs. Mike's disappearance has rendered me moreover paranoid.

The car stood there at the corner of the parking lot. A strange sense of loneliness outweighed my already prominent sense of angst.

I drove to the police station. Yes, indeed everyone knew me and my tampered reputation as an accomplice of a murderer. Tears urged to trample down my cheeks which I held back. I don't have Mike to lean on.

A young officer came up to me. He was short may be an inch shorter than me, he had large kind blue eyes, and his cheeks were a little chubby. He had such flawless skin which makes your self worth as a lady shudder. But since I was acquainted with Mike I knew how  handsome men can be.

"How can I help you? "He asked me with a kind smile.

'I am Elena Drewstone, can I meet Officer Stanley ' I asked.

He was taken aback.... After few minutes he kinda nodded followed by a faint unsettling smile.

He ushered me to follow him, led me to spiral staircase which opened into an office. 'You would have to wait a little while, officer Stanley is on a meeting. '

He sat next to me peering into his smartphone. After few minutes I glanced towards him and deciding against it twice and yet again asked "is it gonna take long? "

"It must be over any time now" He answered.

Suddenly the door barged open and  Officer Stanley stomped in with a pile of cascading files in his arm.

" Terre, I hate this job. What do they think they are doing. Calling me incompetent. When they can't themselves, fucking bastards" He smashed his fist on the desk in anger.

The young officer perked in "there is someone to meet you"

Officer Stanley looked at me acknowledging my presence in the room. He let out an exasperated sigh.

"Elena, what brings you here. Are you willing to drop the albi you are providing Mike with. "He asked.

'No, officer, Mike is missing for past three day's " I informed.

"What, is he on run? Shit I must have thought about it. " He walked to and from in deep thought.

I interjected "officer, Mike is not on run. He is missing, someone tried to shoot me when we went to a restaurant. Mike who went to the wash, has gone missing. The compliant was filed, there hadn't been any proceedings"

"Do you think someone kidnapped him kid? " He asked stern.

"Yes, officer. He would have atleast informed me. "

"He knew, he is guilty. There was no way out " The officer mumbled.

"Sit down Elena" Holding out to the chair in front of the desk.

"Elena, you know mike's fingerprint was on the murder weapon. You are the only person providing him the albi. You can see here, he is a murderer kid. Just because he is your lover boy doesn't make him any less dangerous"

"The neighbors had seen him leave" I added desperately trying to reason. "Mike is not my lover, he is my best friend" .

"He might have caused a scene and killed her after getting in through the back door. Your friend had the key to that house"

"My Mike hasn't killed anyone. I am here to complain that someone tried to kill us. I was nearly shot. We were being followed, yet you are here framing us for murder. Please officer, help me find my Mike" I pleaded as tears welled up my eyes.

Officer sat back on his chair deep in thought. Dusty office smouldered as clouds swarmed up in the sky.

"Do you think Mike is innocent" He asked

"Yes"

"Your Mike might not actually be innocent, just give him a chance of doubt" He said.

"I swear, officer, My Mike won't harm anyone.... Even if he did he will never abandon me"

"Why do you trust him so much? "

"He has always been my strength, my everything during thick and thin. I know him like the back of my hand.he is not a murderer. "

Stanley leaned on peering on to my eyes" Your Mike is not innocent as you think he is. He might apparently dangerous even to you."

"I shall help you find Mike if you provide the statement Mike was not there with you when the murder happened. "

"Never officer never, Mike is innocent and I will prove it" I said storming out of the office with tear filled eyes.

Stanley leaned back on his chair"was it a bit too much? "

Terre nodded" That girl seemed oblivious. "

"She is caught up in this mess, but something is amiss in this case. Though I dismissed her accusation. I wonder who would have kidnapped Mike" Stanley asked"I can't find a motive"

Terre sat in the chair Elena left empty. "I mean the guy was pretty handsome. He had multiple relationships. And the most complicated one is with this girl Elena. May be even Elena could have killed her out of jealousy"

"It is not something I haven't speculated, that girl can't kill.... "He laughed to himself"have you seen that Mike and Elena together. You would know... But something still smells rotten"

Suddenly Elena's blood curling shriek resonated through the office corridors.

Officer Stanley rushed out.