i gotta find out why

The things were turning more awry. The investigation was draining us. The mental turmoil of going through a trail can out weigh almost any frail sense of happiness. An air of tension hung in the atmosphere.

A local newspaper has leaked our picture in front of the investigation office which led the companies we were hired for to revoke thier offers.

Our savings are pretty much running low. We tried our very best to tone down our expenses. Our friends are helping us out, but people on the whole hate us. The long piercing stares of people in grocery store was all that was required to completely quarantine us.

I wonder, the local newspaper really did tarnish our reputation.

Mike sat there on the couch with his head resting on his hand.

I sat next to him and pressed my hand on his shoulder. He slowly looked at me and smiled. A weary tired and painful smile.

"I am pulling you down the drain, Am I not Elena" He said.

"Nothing of such sort, we will find a way out" I reassured him though I wasn't feeling any sane myself.

"Let's go for a drive" Mike said.

"We are running out of money" I replied..

"Just to get things out of my head" He said.

I nodded in reply I did crave to walk out of these four walls. The cramping is devouring my insides. A sense of suffocation.

Mike always made a remark on what I wear but today he remained preoccupied.

I shant blame him things were really bizarre. I can actually remember when we both actually started hanging out together. It was because of that party and winfred high.

I smiled to myself at the memory. Things have changed a great deal, we have grown up. Mike was a carefree teenager. Did I etch misfortune on to him. I have a habit of blaming all the misfortune on me.

We walked out locking the door behind us. He led out his hand which I caught gently, it was cold.

As he drove I sat there staring out at the lingering coldness of the night. The usual banter and fun was missing.

The rain has ceased leaving a shrill frevor of the dropping temperature. The icy air sizzled along the blinding lights of the restaurants and vehicles. They shone like wafting fairy lights in the tranquility ushered by the rain. The vehicles tried to pile in pollution at the otherwise calm air.

Suddenly I was jerked into my senses as a green car caught my eye. A vague memory resonated in me that I saw that car parked near our apartment when we left. But the intriguing color had left an impression on me
May be I was imagining stuff.

I slowly alerted Mike.

He nodded, " I thought it was a coincidence. There is just one way to find out"

He slowly turned the car laughing to which I tried to laugh along though nervously.

"Holy crap, they have turned their car " I whispered.

" We have to lose them without being obvious "he said....

We rode long..... Before we lost them in a signal.

Mike turned to me relieved... " Elena thanks for being with me always".

"But i am useless" I replied.

"The fact I have someone by my side. The realization I am not alone, just when I look at my side and find you there with me through thick and thin. I feel grateful" He said as a tear jerked down his eyes.

We halted near a restaurant and chimed in. It was sparsely occupied, we sat at a corner hardly visible from the window as we didn't want to garner much attention. Mike went to the restroom as I scanned the menu.

There were pork chops, veg burger and so on...

I scanned the card and the surroundings there was a couple or two at the other side. An elderly family sat on a table before us. It was then my phone rang. I leaned down to grab my phone which I kept on the chair next to me.

That was when I heard the shot. The whole restaurant was looking at me it was then I realized the tiny hole on the wall where my head was positioned before.

Someone tried to shoot me.

I peered at the caller id on my phone which read Allan.

Allan saved my life yet again...

The people were pouring towards me enquiring but where in the world is Mike?