A broth boils somewhere

I placed a cup of coffee on the table and pushed it towards Mike. He peered up tired, dark lines of fatigue outlined his eyes.

His mischievous grin and bawdy demeanor seems to be vanished and replaced by an grim and dreary facade.

"Mike, please stop it. You got the bail, I know you didn't do it. "I said.

"how can you be sure I didn't kill her? "he asked.

"I know Mike, you were with me when she was killed"i said.

He stirred the cup absentmindedly "Elena, did you see her body"he asked.
"No "I said.

"I saw, she was cut brutally. I could hardly recognize her. They have cleaved her face away. Who would do such a grotesque thing? "he asked more to himself than to me.

"The cops would find out"I said..

"Elena, I am scared.What would I do without you" he said

I moved next to him and hugged him. "I am there for you Mikey".

"I can see her tortured body every time I close my eyes, Elena. "he said .

"it's okay Mickey. Go to sleep, you would feel better tomorrow "I said.

I sat alone on the table staring at the wall in front of me.

My head throbbed in pain. Yesterday life felt like a dream today everything appears bizarre. The cop told me Mike's fingerprint is there in the knife that stabbed Kaitlyn . Since Mike had an albi that he was with me when she was killed and her neighbors had seen him leaving while Kaitlyn was alive helped him get the bail.

He too hinted me, someone high up in the social ladder wants him locked up. There was quite a lot of pressure to arrest Mike.

My initial impulse was to call Brian or Allan. Then, I thought I could handle it...

May be I was wrong.

Mike was fast asleep on sleeping pills.I slouched over his bed,ran my fingers through his hair and kissed on his tiny forehead. I tucked him inside, he looked so calm and serene like a kid in sleep. We have come to rely so much on each other.

I retired to kitchen to get myself some hot water before heading on to bedroom to sleep.

Mike was not sleeping in his room since it reminds him of Kaitlyn. Since he is sleeping where I normally slept, I would have to sleep in his room.

Suddenly I heard a rattling noise. I rushed where Mike was asleep, he remained unaffected. The noise erupted from the Mike's bedroom. I clutched a vase in my hand and crept noiselessly towards the room .

I noticed someone masked has entering through the window. He must have seen me too. He rushed towards me brandishing the knife. I dodged breaking the vase in his head. He unclasped the hand as the dagger fell down. The blood smeared in droplets as I closed the door locking him inside.

It took more than a minute as I forgot how to close a door in panic. The sweat beaded me like droplets bathing me in it. My heart drummed in my chest so wildly that one could conclude it would jump out of my ribs.

I rushed to the living grabbed my phone and dialled 911 and yelped for help. Though the door was closed I pushed a chair and table towards the door. I tried waking up the sleeping Mike who responded as soon as he reached the table he snored on the table. I took a resolve not to let him swallow ambien ever again in my life... I closed that door too and pushed a chair towards it. I dragged a chair to the locked main door.

I didn't trust those anymore. I was petrified until I heard the sirens of cops vehicle. Relief flooded through my veins.

The two cops examined the scene.
A cop in late twenties bend down and examined the dagger. He gasped calling on to the senior officer who rushed to his side, they mumbled in whispers and looked at me " we will send someone for your security, this isn't a joke.". He said brandishing the knife. "They have been dormant for so long. This dagger belongs to a cult of assassins who we have never seen but only heard of. I think you kids are in grave danger, I will check the authencity of the dagger and let you know".

Mike looked up and asked "what" turned the other side and snored.

The cops gaped bewildered." He is under sleeping pills for the first time. "I said

Something didn't feel right at all.

"That person was searching for Mike, he seemed to know that Mike slept there. Good gracious I am glad he slept in the other room. Or else"i whimpered.

"Its okay. We will be back morning for further investigation. "he assured me.