The last encounter

Zion POV

I didn't even turn my head when I noticed the arrival of the others. My heart shattered as I looked at her, standing there cold and detached. The look on her face when I'd touched her verified all my worst fears. I'd lost her. I'd lost my mate to the darkness.

"Zion..." Jeremy said uneasily, making his way towards me. I stayed in the same place, frozen as I watched her approaching them with a smug expression on her face, like she was disgusted to have ever associated with us. This was all my fault. If only I'd have fought harder. If only I'd have been stronger.

"Is she-"

I nodded, not bothering to turn and look at him and see my own fears reflected in his eyes. Saron stopped, standing silently before them watching. She has a curious look in her eyes, as if their fright has piqued her interest.

"What the hell happened here?" Tom said, staring at the bodies scattered around the house.

"Saron, Saron it's me. Are you still in there?" Star said carefully, stepping towards her. Joel grabbed her, wrapping an arm around her protectively.

"Star. Boys. Father. What a displeasure," she replied, her voice monotonous and devoid of any emotion.

"She's still there. I think she's controlling the dark magic," Edward whispered in awe.

"If she's in control, why is she so-"

Tom didn't have to finish his sentence. We all knew what he was thinking. Normally, I'd be irritated when he spoke to Saron. He was head over heels for her and the thought of him pining over my mate made my blood rush in anger. But now, seeing what she'd become it didn't matter anymore. She felt nothing towards us, not anymore. But I wasn't angry at her, I was angry at myself. She did this to herself because she felt like she had no other option. That was who she was, selfless to the very end. And she'd done it. She saved us all. But at the cost of losing herself.

"What do we do with her?" Joel asked.

Saron threw her head back, laughing dryly before her face reverted back to it's former stone cold expression.

"You think you can take me?"

"Saron, I know you're in there. Please-" Tom started.

"Of course I'm in here you idiot you're talking to me," she snapped.

"Zion, what happened here? Why would she allow the dark magic to control her?" Star asked carefully.

"Killing the others took up too much of her power she didn't have a choice. She did it to save us," I said weakly, struggling to speak the words aloud.

"We saw Crexus on the way here. Did she kill him?"

"Of course not. The Headmaster did that," I snapped at Jeremy, annoyed he'd even ask. Saron was the one who believed in Crexus more than any of us.

"Snow was here too?" Edward asked, looking around.

"She was the one who killed Crexus. She was working with the Five this whole time."

"Impossible," he commented, shaking his head in disbelief.

"What reason would I have to lie?" I snapped, scowling at him.

"Where is she?" Joel asked, unable to place her body in the house.

"She's outside."

"What do you mean she's outside? You let her go?" Tom asked incredulously.

"She's dead."

"Saron?" Star asked.

I nodded, noticing the looks of terror across their faces as they eyed the bodies.