A narrow escape

"HOLY SHIT," Jeremy said, scooting back as all the students pushed towards the center as the walls of the Academy were quickly being broken down and giants were clamoring to fit in.

"Zion..." I said, standing frozen and unsure what to do.

"We need to get out of here before they corner us," Esat said, clinging to my arm so tightly I was starting to lose feeling.

"EVERYONE, CLUSTER TOGETHER," I yelled as loudly as I can.

I released all my dark magic, letting it pour out of my arms and legs in every direction as it quickly surrounded the students. It was creating a shield quickly as my desperation fueled it to speed up. Just when it was about to close, a giant made it's way through the hole and started advancing towards us.

"Saron-" Star started.

"I KNOW," I said, quickly closing the shield around all of us. I barely closed it when I felt the violent bang of the giant attempting to punch through it. I collapsed, refusing to break concentration as I struggled to keep it up.

"I can't hold it for long, we need a plan," I struggled to say, my breath quickly becoming ragged.

"We need to get out of here. We won't make it if we're surrounded," Tom said.

"The roof," a student yelled out from the crowd, pointing up.

I turned my head up, noticing the roof cracking as the giants were breaking through from the top.

"A tunnel, can you do a tunnel?!" Esat asked.

"I can't keep up the shield and open a tunnel for the entire school," I admitted, sweat trickling down my forehead as I struggled to hold against the giants who were striking at every angle.

"What about if you had help?" Bonnie asked, her eyes lighting up.

"Witches," Joel said, looking around.

Star stood up on a nearby table, hoisting herself at a higher angle than all of us and screamed at the top of her lungs, "WITCHES WE NEED YOU."

The crowd started to slowly make a path as witches pushed and squeezed through to make it towards us.

Feeling my dark magic struggling, I reached deep inside of me and awakened my werewolf. I channeled my strength, closing my eyes to concentrate on holding the shield and drowning out the yells and panicking of the students.

"Saron, they're here," Star said, stepping aside to show about 20 witches.

I nodded, reaching out my hand to one of them. She grabbed hold, forming a link with all of the witches. I channeled their magic, allowing myself to open up a portal. I didn't have the brain power to imagine a place so I prayed it was somewhere without giants.

"EVERYONE, GO THROUGH THE PORTAL NOW!" Zion yelled as the students piled in one by one. Even with help, I could tell our magic was quickly draining. I reached deeper, activating my vampire and angel sides to increase my energy as I opened the portal wider so more students could get in at once.

"Uh...Saron," Jeremy said, pointing up.

The giants had formed a crack in my shield, that was slowly getting bigger.

I concentrated, trying to close the hole but it was no use. They'd already cracked my defense and it was going to take more magic than I had at the moment to close the crack and keep the portal open. Barely half of the students were through the portal and my defense was breaking down.

"Zion, I can't hold it long enough. We have to fight," I yelled.

He walked away without a moment's hesitation with his weapon in hand. Following his example, Tom and Joel followed him. I closed my eyes, afraid if I saw anyone get hurt I'd break focus completely and the shield would collapse sooner.