Close call

My face was now hurting from the amount of times I'd wiped my face with my sleeve to dry the tears that were gushing out of my eyes. I could feel my strength weaken as each breath gave way to another shot of pain.

"Zion, I'm so sooo sorry. I know that's not enough. I know it won't erase the pain I've caused you. I know it doesn't change anything. I promise you, nothing will keep me from you again. I won't hurt you again by leaving you. All I've done is hurt you from the moment we met. I wish I could-"

He pulled me into him, wrapping his arms around me tightly.

"I know," he whispered.

The moment was quickly interrupted with a click of the lights going out. We broke apart quickly as I tapped into my night vision, noticing the cameras were off, no longer flickering.

"Should we-" I started, rising up to my feet before he pulled me back down.

"Not yet."

We sat there silently for a few minutes before two guards walked in with a flashlight. Zion pulled me down beside me, nodding before shutting his eyes. I shut my eyes as well, feeling the bright flashlight being pointed at our faces. The light lingered for a few seconds before I heard the footsteps of the guards receding.

"All clear," the guard called out, closing the door behind him.

Within a blink, Zion flitted up and over to the lock, placing the key inside and unlocking it before opening the door. I followed him quickly out before he stopped me.

"The hallways will be lit."

Nodding, I grabbed his hand before whispering the short invisibility spell, channeling magic into both him and myself before feeling it take root. I let go of his hand once it was done.

"Am I invisible?"

"I think it worked. We should still be able to see each other so we won't know until we go out."

Nodding, he stepped forward, opening the door slowly before peeking his head out then motioning for me to follow.

"Now what?" I whispered.

"Let's see if it worked," he said, flitting forward to a guard a couple feet ahead and standing in front of him. The guard looked blankly ahead, clearly not noticing his presence. Zion turned back at me, smiling. I flitted up to catch up to him before pulling him away. Invisibility or not, better safe than sorry.

"So where to next?"

"The lower level. We're located on the edge of the grid now, we have to get to the middle first. Then there's a tunnel that leads to the lower level. That's where they usually keep prisoners. They probably put us here to lower the chances of me escaping like last time."

Nodding, he darted forward quickly. I followed him easily, matching his speed as we weaved effortlessly in and out of guards unseen. Before long, we reached a level that had a large M painted near the ceiling, letting me know we'd arrived. Just as Zion said, there was a dark tunnel that was covered with two wooden planks, nailed down into an X.

"That doesn't look too good."

"We have to go quickly through this tunnel. If you spend longer than 5 minutes inside, the alarm goes off. It should be easy for us since we're vampires but be careful. There are traps and we can't set any off."