Hateful glares and guilty consciences

"WAKE UP!!!" I heard a voice scream into my ear.

I jerked awake, my magic seeping out of me instinctually. I'd been attacked in my sleep too many times to count so it only took a little for the dark magic to go on attack mode.

"Shit Saron," Star yelped, jumping off my bed away from the dark magic that was nearing her. I waved my arm, willing it to return back to me and it was gone in an instant.

"As creepy as that is, it's kind of cool."

"How did you get here?" I asked, rubbing my eyes awake.

"Edward showed me."

"Wait, what time is it?"

"12."

"You came alone?" I asked, noticing nobody behind her or sensing anyone near.

"Yes, we need to catch up," she said excitedly, plopping down on the bed beside me.

"Tell me everything."

"Well, Bonnie and Jeremy are dating now. They have been for awhile. Me and Jer are third years now. Tom, well he's the same. Zion.."

She stopped, avoiding my eyes as if she had said something she didn't mean to say and didn't want me to ask any questions. Luckily for her, the last thing I wanted to talk about was Zion. My heart dropped straight into my ass at the mention of him. It was just a reminder of how badly I'd fucked up.

"How are you and Joel?" I asked, trying to move on from the awkward silence after she mentioned Zion.

"Ugh he's perfect. Him and Tom are graduating at the end of this year."

"I feel like I've missed so much."

"I know it seems like a lot but you really haven't. Tell me what you've been up to."

"Well, other than running for my life I've been practicing my magic. There's a girl, she's 18. Her name is Terex, she was a witch who was accused and burned for betraying her coven. She's one of the voices of the dark magic. She taught me a lot of spells. I had to learn to hide because everyone knew what I looked like so she taught me an invisibility spell. Watch this."

I focused on distributing the dark magic within me evenly throughout my body before whispering the phrase Terex had taught me.

"Iteraus."

"Oh my gosh...how are you doing that? I can't even hear you breathing."

"A year of practice," I said, revealing myself.

"You should use that to sneak up on the boys."

"I might," I said, grinning.

"So...I know you might not want to talk about this but how are you and Zion?"

"He's angry. I don't blame him."

"He tried to leave the Academy. He wrote a goodbye letter and everything before Edward sent guards to bring him back. I kept it for you for when you came back. I knew you'd come back."

"What does it say?"

"I think you should read it for yourself," she said pulling out a letter from her back pocket and handing it to me.

I looked at the folded letter, my name written in messy cursive on the center of  it. I traced my finger over my name, trying to find the guts to open it.

"Let's go eat," I offered, sliding the letter in my pocket before looking up to Star. I wasn't ready to read it now, not yet.

"Finally, I'm starving. It's almost time anyway."