Actions have consequences

"I'm sorry for everything," I added, turning to each of my friends.

"We're sorry too," Jer said, smiling at me.

"For what?"

"For not believing that you were badass enough to control the dark magic," Joel added.

"How's your dad?" I asked, turning my attention to Jeremy with a smirk on my face that made him pale.

"Saron, I'm so fucking sorry. I had no ide-"

"It's fine Jer, I'm just messing with you. He did it to protect you. I can't blame him for that."

"Those burgers were so good though," Joel joked, causing us all to laugh. It felt good. Being here with my friends and laughing together at some silly joke. But still, it didn't feel right. Not with Zion sitting there in the chair, drowning in his unresolved emotions.

"Zion, can we talk?"

"What about?"

"Please," I said, standing up and gesturing towards the door.

He rose up, flitting past me and I quickly followed. We found ourselves in one of the Greenhouses, secluded and filled with all sorts of plants. I was careful not to touch any, knowing the effect I had on the Earth now.

"Zion, talk to me."

"What's there to talk about? You left and now you're back."

"Zion, I know that's not really how you feel. I hate seeing you hurt like this. Tell me how horrible I've been, how much I've hurt you, yell at me, anything. Anything but this."

"Why?"

"Because I want you to tell-"

"No. I'm asking you why."

"Why what?" I asked, getting confused.

"Why would you do that to me? Your excuse could work with everyone else but I'm your mate. I'm your fucking mate and you left and forgot about me for a year."

"I know, I'm sorry. You're righ-"

"No Saron, you FUCKING LEFT. It was better when I thought you were consumed by magic. But no, you've been in control this whole fucking time. You chose to stay away. You didn't give a damn about me when you made that decision."

I swallowed back tears that were threatening to rise up as his words piled utop me like bricks. It hurt but it was nothing compared to how much he was hurting. I could see it in his eyes. I was shattering his heart and he was right. Every single word he said. And there was nothing I could say. Nothing that could makeup for the year I'd chosen to stay away. The year I'd spent without him. The year I'd been comforted by the dark magic while he searched tirelessly for me.

"How can I make it right?" I asked, wincing at how sad I sounded. I had no right to be sad, not after what I'd done to him.

"You can't. You can't change who you are Saron. And I'm done trying to change you."

"What does that mean?"

"I don't know."

We stood there in silence, staring at one another. There was nothing that needed to be said. Everything was out now. Mate bonds are eternal which made this even worse. If Zion had reached his breaking point, there was nothing I could do about it. Being this close to him and not being able to touch him, hold him, kiss him...it was hell. It felt unnatural. The very universe had placed us together and I had driven him to the point where he had to betray his own instincts. I'd go through the pain and torture I'd endured my life all over again if it meant not seeing the pain reflected in Zion's eyes. Pain I'd caused. Pain I couldn't take back or fix.