A painful conversation

I hadn't landed for 10 seconds before I felt a kick knock me forward into Jeremy, knocking him to the ground.

"You don't belong here freak!"

I whirled around, finding a scrawny girl standing behind me, hands raised and ready to fight. From her small, green wings fluttering behind her, I quickly deduced she was a fairy. There was a crowd of students quickly gathering near her in support with the same looks of repulsion mirrored on each of their faces.

Before I had a chance to reply, she swung her arm back, ready to strike me before I grabbed her arm effortlessly and pulled her towards me.

"Sileriodeu," I whispered, causing her eyes to roll back and her to fall to the ground.

"What did you do?" Jeremy asked, staring at me in shock.

"I knocked her out for a couple minutes. Shall we go?"

I tried to ignore the whispers of the nearby students but one in particular caught my attention.

"Hybrid freak just like her father."

I whipped my head around, my eyes landing upon the boy who had uttered those words. He was tall, slender and with glasses larger than his face. His confidence quickly faltered once he realized I'd heard what he said.

"Why don't you repeat that one more time?" I challenged, pushing through the crowd until I was face to face with him.

Losing the courage he had a couple seconds earlier, he begged, "Please don't kill me."

"You wouldn't be worth the kill," I leaned in and whispered to him, causing him to shiver in fear.

"Saron, leave them and come," Oreres called out, looking almost as annoyed as I was. I turned around, ignoring the eyes boring into my back as I rejoined them.

"They're just scare-" Star started.

"Save it," I snapped back causing her to step away from me.

Tom frowned at me, noticing my harsh interaction with Star.

"I didn't kill him, did I? Maybe I should've if you're all going to keep looking at me like I'm a killer." I shot at him, getting even more agitated by how he was looking at me.

"Saron, calm yourself. These children know nothing. They aren't to blame," she said, eying Edward.

"Fine," I said flitting forward until I was matching Oreres and Edward stride for stride, with everyone else trailing behind.

"You have to right this. These children bear the same hate in their eyes as our predecessors did," Oreres started.

"They're only children," Edward defended, looking to her for understanding.

"And what of your daughter? Is she not a child?"

Edward looked away, unable to answer Oreres's question.

"They may be children but we have a war coming. If they don't learn now, they won't make it to become adults," Oreres continued harshly.

"How's Esat?" I asked, turning my head towards Edward. I'd be lying if I said my curiosity was coming solely from a place of affection and not also jealousy.

"She's fine. She's with her mother."

"Her powers may be useful in this war," Oreres stated.

"No, she's not strong enough. She stays far away from this," Edward protested, shaking his head at Oreres.

"Esat is a soft spot for him. She's the daughter he actually bothered to raise," I explained, noticing Oreres's confused expression at Edward's outburst.