Chapter 3

The Veela Enigma

Chapter 3: Maybe it's Magic

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Draco spent the next several days in what could be termed "severe, complete, and total denial."

He completely refused to admit defeat.  He was going to beat this crush.  He was not going remain in love with one Harry sodding Potter.

His initial plan was to avoid Harry until the feelings passed, which of course was easier said then done. Harry Potter turned out to be a hard person to avoid.  Everywhere Draco went, there he was, with his big, pretty eyes, his shiny black hair, and that tall, muscular body that drove Draco positively wild.

It was like living a nightmare. Every time he saw Harry, or heard his voice echoing in the corridor, he would get that warm, glowing feeling inside, feel that burning surge of desire, and then promptly fall into despair, because no matter how much he wanted Harry Potter, he was one thing that Draco absolutely could not have. 

It hurt like hell. 

He barely noticed that he had suddenly become the most sought after student in Howarts. Students stared after him everywhere he went.  People said and did outrageous things constantly to get his attention. He got presents, love notes and even the occasional marriage proposal every morning with his breakfast. Through it all the only thing he could think about was Harry, Harry, Harry.

He thought about Harry when he ate his meals.  He thought about Harry when he did his homework.  He definitely thought about Harry when he took a shower, and he had started dreaming about Harry when he slept at night. 

He grudgingly admitted that while the crush absolutely sucked, the dreams were rather good.

The absolute worst part of it all had to be the uncontrollable jealousy. He wanted to avoid Harry but every time Harry was out of his sight he began to have these weird mental fits about where he was, who he was with, and what he might be doing.  And it would usually lead to a panic attack that Harry might be with someone else in a not-purely-platonic sense.

Draco found himself extraordinarily jealous of anyone and everyone who spent any time with Harry. He once saw Hermione peck him on the cheek and flew into a rage. He had to dash into an empty classroom to avoid hexing her, where he repeatedly kicked and punched the wall instead until he ended up having to visit the hospital wing.

He spent enough time watching Harry, and by extension Weasley and Granger, until he gradually came to accept that they were all just friends, and that neither Hermione nor Ron had designs on Harry.  Still, he didn't like it when they got too close.  And he didn't trust anyone else around Harry at all. Considering Harry' celebrity status and the fact that people swarmed around him constantly, this made life very painful for Draco. 

It drove him crazy.  Draco feared it was only a matter of time before someone got hurt. And by hurt he meant hexed to Hades and back with all the Dark Magic that he could muster.

Unfortunately, it seemed as if all this unrequited love for Potter was beginning to make Draco lovesick - literally.  He felt drained and went about his days mechanically, barely speaking to anyone, with no will to do anything unless Harry was somehow involved.  At night he would fall into bed, completely exhausted, unable to do anything but fight back tears and dream of Harry.

''''''''''''''''''''''

Harry Potter sat at the Gryffindor table at breakfast, eating French toast and mulling over the whole Malfoy situation for what must have been the millionth time.