Russell's Prey Again (5x11/5x12)

Maria/Tes P.O.V

My life was in a full tailspin now. Tru Blood factory bombings were going non-stop, extending the blood shortage. The President was shifting towards military action to sequester them. The rest of the cabinet & joint chiefs were on board. The only one willing to give the Authority another chance was General Cavanaugh.

I was in a tough position. I played on the fence & did my best to taper their hotheadedness. I couldn't lose any favour now. I knew the other generals were chomping at the chance to get me axed. But, I'd be dead if they actually got me kicked out. For now, I had the President's faith as I swore military aid to protect the remaining factories. Hopefully, it would be enough to keep the peace.

Marcus & my siblings were working hard. Everyone was coordinating the lockdown across the covens. This time no one was allowed to leave the compound. All deliveries were thoroughly scanned before allowed inside & the driver's memories were wiped. The new system was working well. Everyone was well-fed & had plenty of space. Security was armed to the teeth in case of an attack.

My personal life was barely any better. Sook was a nervous mess from Warlow & now Russell. It was killing her that no one had new information. Claudine was a bust. All she knew was he was an old vampire obsessed with finding a fairy bride. John Stackhouse made a contract to prevent their slaughter. The fairy elder was a bust too. She was listening to too much information at once to focus. Right when we managed to get her attention, Jason burst in with his warning about Russell.

Thanks to Jessica, we had a heads up that Russell was coming. This time we were on our own for protection. According to her, Bill & Eric were full-blown religious nuts. But, I had hope for Eric based on our last talk. I was hoping he managed to get out & was on his way, regardless if Bill was with him. Sook worried for him but wised up to be worrying about herself more.

The fairies were in complete horror at the news. Everyone was arguing with each other. Most of them were fine with hiding. I didn't blame them as fairies weren't known for fighting. The Elder stood on the stage with her eyes closed. Sook decided to speak up. I gave a sharp whistle to shut them up so she could speak. She made a short speech advocating to fight. It took the Elder's support for everyone to agree.

Sook's outspokenness got her thrust into the spotlight. She had to create the plan. She decided to lure Russell here. The fairies could be backup as we fought. I didn't mind the idea since it was decent. But, I nearly lost it when Jason offered to be the bait. Sook had to hold me back from strangling him. With Newlin as Russell's new boy toy, Jason was in danger too. I didn't want that creep anywhere near him. But, he swore he'd be safe, reminding me of how quick I could reach him. I begrudgingly agreed since we didn't have a better plan.

With a plan in place, everyone started to prepare emotionally. Physically we couldn't do anything until Jase dropped him on our doorstep. Sook & I walked him out of the tent for a goodbye. He knew we were nervous for him. But, he was trying to be confident for our sakes. We hugged him tight since he'd be doing the most dangerous task.

After he drove off, I sent Sook back into the tent. I needed some peace to call Alcide. He was worried as I hadn't called him in a while. I had a lot of apologising but he was understanding. He joked a little & groaned at our usual problems. But, deep down, he was worried for us as he knew we were Russell #1 targets.

I assured him we were safe & in hiding. He knew I could handle Russell & Newlin. But, he still wanted to help. It took a lot of convincing to keep him home. I shared with him my hope that Eric was on his way. But, he was less hopeful given our break up & his radio silence. He expressed his uncertainty & left it at a difference of opinions.