Adapt or Die

family tree: https://www.familyecho.com/?p=START&c=188c1uyye9o&f=478560985446473552

Eric P.O.V

I was happy to get out of the bar. Nora & Pam's bickering was driving me absolutely bonkers. My patience was very much spent resisting snapping their necks. Tara surprised me by keeping her sass to a minimum. I suppose her human encounters with me taught her a sliver of manners. It was a bit of a joy that someone wasn't pushing my buttons.

After storming out, I had to be careful & blend. If I used any of my abilities my near-perfect cover would be blown. I started walking toward my house to make sure no looters were snooping around. It took a while on foot but I made it early into the morning. I decided to be extra cautious instead of barging through the front door.

I could smell several intruders inside already. It was a pack of frat boys & some girls. They were partying it up in my living room with the stereo blasting. They had already vandalised my gate by spraypainting a "Fangers Slayed on Sight" warning. It just fuelled my rage & desire to rip them apart. But, I realised a cool head was better since people actually cared more about missing persons. I didn't need the Governor's minions crawling over my residence too.

I went around to the side gate. I knew all the camera's blind spots. It would be easy to slip in even if they were vigilant. No one could lock me out of my own house. I had to keep low as I made it to the side door. Luckily they left it unlocked so I didn't have to shatter the glass. The music was even more atrocious inside. I hated every step I made.

It didn't take long to get into the kitchen. A few heads looked my way while most of them were oblivious. A girl was dancing on my island while people lounged around or made out on the couch. I focused on keeping my rage contained as I went to turn off the stereo. I shoved a guy out my way as I grabbed the remote. Once it shut off, everyone looked my way.

"What's your problem old man?" island girl whined

I snapped & didn't take a second to sweep her legs. She fell hard onto the stone & broke her nose. She was wailing like I had torn a limb. A few "gentlemen" came to help her.

"You have 2 seconds to get the fuck out right now! If you want to get brave then I'll give you more than a broken nose." I bellowed as my eyes went bloodshot

"Yeah right. This is..." the guy I had shoved stood up

He stood right next to me & tried to sucker punch me. I caught his arm & gave enough of a twist to dislocate it. He was crying like a babe right before I used the counter to help break it. His friends finally got the message & decided to run. I grabbed him by the scalp since no one was picking him up. I got him to the driveway before throwing him over the gate. I briefly enjoyed the sight of them scurrying like rats. But, I needed to check inside for stragglers. After 20 mins of thorough searching, I was pest-free.

I finally could enjoy the last moments of peace in my house. This piece of shite governor probably already reposed my house. I needed to make sure my stash was ok. It was another collection of some petty cash but this one was mainly memories. I went into Pam's room which was trashed. It smelled of the teens. I started regretting not tearing them apart for squatting. I stomached through the stench & mess as I went to the dresser.

I easily pushed it away from the wall. In the moulding, I had a secret compartment that was keyed to my fingerprints. With a press of my index finger, a portion of the wall slid out. The 3 briefcases were intact along with the small backpack. I quickly pulled them & doubled checked that the extra couple million was safe. I closed them & set them next to the bed. My sentimental side started coming out as I rested & looked over my life. I fished out some pictures from the bag. I didn't have many since I hadn't seen the need. But, I did take some for very special occasions.