Gods Amongst Men (6x01)

Maria/Tes P.O.V

Poor Jess was groaning in pain & it was only getting worse. I ditched walking & ran back for the car. I quickly picked up everyone else since I couldn't trust to leave Sookie on her own. We had to take the long way to avoid checkpoints with Vampire Open Season declared. I made a mental note of the Governor's quick response. It was clear the bald snake had this coming for a long time. Now it was just a matter of time before the world followed suit. All of my people would be indefinitely locked down. I wasn't going to risk underestimating the power of bigoted hate.

Eventually, we made it back home to Bon Temps. We still had a few hours till dawn. If Bill or Lillith started a fight, we wouldn't have time before the sun came up. We still had a way to go to Bill's house so we started a rough plan. Jess, Sookie & I would enter the house to find Bill. Eric, Alcide & Nora would be on standby to subdue him. No one was thrilled about the half-assed plan. But, it wasn't like we had much of a choice.

Jess started feeling better once we made it to the porch. She could breathe less unrestricted as she sat on the steps. I noticed the bloody footprints & pointed it out to them. We all got nervous to continue on but knew we had to. Sookie got smart for once by breaking porch slants into stakes. Jess continued leading us as we headed in. We held hands as we carefully followed the footprints. It led us to the 2nd floor back balcony & his creepy arse waiting in a chair. I immediately hissed & shielded the girls.

"Stay where you are!" Sookie demanded as she raised her stake

"I just want to talk." He replied

"You have a funny way of showing it." I huffed, hoping to distract him from the other's attack

But, it didn't work. He picked up on their vibrations in the air. Nora got backhanded into the railing. Alcide got tossed toward me so I had to catch him. But, I panicked when I saw Eric struggling to stake him. Bill had him pressed against pillar & was slowly turning the stake onto him.

My instinct took over as I rushed over & staked him. I didn't hear Jess's screams to stop. But, in our horror, he didn't die. He slowly pulled it through as I grabbed Eric & held him behind me. Bill turned to me in annoyance as he dropped my bloody stake. I was prepared for a fight & surprised when he sheathed his fangs.

"Now can we talk?" He huffed

No one spoke so he took the time to reposition for a better view of us. He looked at Eric who was still ready to fight. Eric got the sense to pull back his fangs. With us "calm", Bill began to speak.

"I brought you here tonight so you could see for yourselves. I am no monster." He pleaded as Nora slowly made her way to us

"I do not wish any of you harm." He promised

"But, if you force me to defend myself again, you will be sorry." He warned

"What are you?" Sookie uneasily asked

"Are you Lillith?" Nora mused

"I am Bill Compton. Though clearly...I am something more." He replied, transferring his annoyance at her

"I see that now." He suddenly said as he slowly looked at each of our faces

"I see everything so differently now. The fear in your eyes. I know I put that there." He noted, starting to get closer

Eric pushed me back when Bill got too close for comfort. Alcide grabbed onto my waist as his eyes glowed. Poor Jess stared in confusion while Sook just looked heartbroken.

"But I promise you, the man who did that to you has gone." He assured us

"That's right. Bill Compton is gone. He died...I felt it." Sook agonisingly accepted