ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴍᴘʀᴇꜱꜱ

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 : 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐌𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"That's all she told you?" Shin sighed, throwing his head back.

I nodded slowly at the recent memory still feeling all too surreal. There was nothing there to indicate that she was not a living being in front of me. Her hair was slightly swaying in the breeze, the fabric of her dress looked like it would be soft to the touch, only the finest of material on her still regal appearance, and her words went straight to my heart like a knife.

"It will take a war."

A war? Right now we're just an army of three, and I feel like Carla is going to take the brunt of the fighting on his shoulders. I'm nowhere near Karlheinz's level of powers, and Shin... well let's hope he doesn't make any more reckless decisions.

"Are you alright?" Carla asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Oh- Yes," I quickly responded. "Whenever you're ready we can begin the next session."

Truth be told, I could see how draining this was to Carla. When I first snapped out of talking with Beatrix, droplets of sweat were cascading down his forehead, his expression being slightly pained. I hope he isn't pushing himself too far. Not to mention, his Endzeit is probably making this harder for him.

"Who's next?" Shin inquired. "They better be more helpful than Beatrix."

"Beatrix was plenty helpful." I interrupt, narrowing my eyes at him. "Mind you we are resurrecting them and barging in with concerns they have no obligation to help with."

"She did give the scope of how this will turn out, but I already know, and knew, that Karlheinz is a force to be reckoned with." Carla states, standing up from his chair. "We need someone who is willing to be more involved with this."

I gulp at the first thought that went through my head. Cordelia.

After spending all that time with the triplets and knowing to just what extent that woman ruined their lives, it's not an idea that I welcome with open arms. She was Karlheinz's first wife, so I can presume they were acquainted more well than Beatrix or Christa. I can also presume she would be more hands-on with this. How hands-on is what concerns me though.

But it's a give and take world, isn't it? I'll have to give myself to her to possibly get information from her.

"We should talk to Cordelia," I decided. "She has a motive and with this motivation comes our information."

Carla nods and grabs the next spider lily, gazing over the tarot deck.

I take this as my cue to pick a card. Let's see, Cordelia doesn't outright present to me with any noticeable characteristics of the major arcana but she has to be in there somewhere. She's not the devil as that definitely has Karlheinz's name on it, and she's also not the center of his schemes. As horrible as she is, she too was another one of his pawns. She didn't have any say in her destiny. And that led to her becoming this jealous, manipulative, serpentine of a woman who took her issues of unfulfillment and sought out unhealthy ways of coping.