ᴡʜᴇɴ ʟɪɢʜᴛɴɪɴɢ ꜱᴛʀɪᴋᴇꜱ

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 : 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐈𝐊𝐄𝐒

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Just how many times can lightning strike?

I can count once when I thought the only gun that could kill Karlheinz would cost the sacrifice of a founder's heart.

Second, when I left the Sakamakis like a ghost without even saying goodbye.

Third, when my heroism brought out the most desperate shambles of myself.

Fourth, when Yui felt betrayed.

And the fifth... has yet to come.

That's the problem with me. There's never a clearing; there's always a stormy sky and the lightning is bound to strike at some point. It's been nothing but tempest and tears.

But it's never occurred that there are a few that are willing to forego the sunshine and stand with me in the rain. And it doesn't matter that they hear the thunder approaching or the static gathering in the clouds. They don't care about safety and shade, they don't care about getting struck, they just care that I'm not facing it by myself.

A part of me did die during my fight to get the gun. Nothing spectacular, just the ugly parts of me that should've been let go of for a while now. I've gotten to learn that old wounds that haven't healed hurt more than any fresh ones.

And that tomb is closed, hidden underneath that red barren land. And I imagine nightshade growing on top as a warning to never go that far again.

What's left of me is contained in an hourglass. I've taken a couple of days to recover from what I mentally went through, and I suppose now I have but a couple of days to deal with what I physically went through before the hourglass runs out.

It's true that now that we got the gun, it doesn't really matter if I live or not. Someone else could shoot him and we've all experienced atrocities with the common factor being Karlheinz. I could finally let go of the anger and hurt and bite my own bullet.

But Carla brings me warm blankets whenever it gets cold.

And Shin makes me laugh with all of his old stories.

And Yui holds my hand when the pain gets too bad

I need to be there for them when they're alone in a storm. They've done more for me than I thought I deserved. My father is dead, my mother will never be the same, and I have no siblings. These people are now my family.