26. I want in

Hi, just letting you guys know this chapter will be Olivia and Brett - from the first book. So, enjoy! :) Thank you for reading, please vote and comment - it helps to keep me motivated.

The next few days went by terribly slow, for Olivia and Brett, Kelly and even Phoebe and Liam. Everything was going so slow, so awfully slow. Nobody knew what to say to help Olivia and Kelly. John was dead.

John was dead, and even though he had been a terrible husband, and an even worse father, he was still John. Olivia's father and Kelly's ex-husband.

And he was gone.

He was gone - and nobody could change that, or fix it.

Not even Brett.

Brett, the man who'd do anything for his wife, for Olivia. He couldn't help her, not this time, and it was killing him to see her so hurt and broken. He felt helpless, just watching her walk around like a ghost. An actual ghost.

He hadn't seen her smile since the day of their wedding, he hadn't heard her laugh or her tease him. He missed it, and he couldn't do anything to help her.

"I want in.", That tiny voice pulled Brett from his deluded thoughts, and his gaze snaps up from his laptop screen to his wife standing in his office doorway. She was wearing a black shirt that fell to her knees, with her hair in a messy bun.

She looked tired and hurt, sad even.

And it killed him to see her this way.

But her words shook him to his core. "You want in, what?", Brett asked, voice as soft as he could make it. His gaze remained fixed on her face, her face that was monopolised with determination. A perfect mask of confidence, broken confidence.

"The business.", She replied, simply.

That made Brett fall silent. The business? Is she serious? He couldn't decide in what realm she'd want to be apart of this business, and he couldn't decide whether he could picture her in this business. The illegal side was gone, theoretically, but he was still involved with lots of... illegal stuff.

He would be for a while, and he didn't want to drag her into that.

He couldn't.

"I don't need to be protected from it anymore. I am your wife. My dad was murdered by your enemies, I'm not blind or stupid.", She stepped further into the room, head held high.

Brett remained quiet, just watching his wife, his young wife ask for his permission to get herself into a dangerous life. A life that he'd tried so hard to protect his family from.

"You killed my ex, Brett. I forgave you. I moved on.", She began, her voice not shaking. Her body language was calm and collected, eerily so. "My dad was killed, and I want to help bring down the people who did it.", She concluded.

Brett was shocked into silence. Bring down?

"I'm not some little girl in need of protection. You are my husband, and I am your wife. I can make my own decisions, and I want to help you. I want in.", She repeats, now standing on the opposite side of his desk, looking down at him.

Brett shook his head slowly, his glossy eyes peering up into hers. "I can't put you in danger, Olivia. I won't.", He breathed, voice weak and strangled. Hoarse and sore.

Olivia stood taller, and straightened her spine. "This isn't your decision to make.", She said.

"I can't lose you.", Brett shot out, voice a broken plea. He was tired, and sad and he had been drinking. He couldn't lose her. He could not lose Olivia - he couldn't live without her. He couldn't go on without her.

She was his home. His safe haven. And like his kids - Olivia was his entire life.

His purpose.

"I can not lose you, Olivia.", He repeats, stronger.

Olivia nodded her head slowly. "You better train me well then.", She raised a singular brow and her lips twitched. Olivia Black was smirking down at the most powerful man that she knew. And in that moment, he realized, that she would be fine.

She wasn't a broken girl, she wasn't weak - she had never been.

The things she had been through... the things she'd endured and had fought through... She was strong enough for this, if not stronger than him. She would be okay.

He would make sure of it.

"Yes Mrs Black.", He let out a small laugh.

Olivia smiled down at him then. "Now, where do we start?", She asked, looking around the room. Her eyes took in the room and then returned to him, who was rising from his seat.

"We start with telling you what it is that I do, what I own and what I control.", Brett said, straightening out his suit. "What we own.", He corrected himself, smirking slightly.

Olivia blushed at that, but inside her blood was boiling.

She needed to find out who'd killed her father - she needed to get her revenge.

"Okay.", She said, voice gentle. A sea of terrible calm, waiting to erupt at the right time. "We start with what we own.", She agreed, raising her chin and standing tall to peer up into his eyes.

And after this conversation, Olivia would never be the same again.

She wouldn't be some innocent by-stander. She would be involved, and with being married to Brett. She would be one of the most powerful women in the city. She would have the authority that he had, and she would use that to her advantage.

Olivia needed to know who'd killed her father.

And she wouldn't stop until she'd found out who did it.

She wouldn't stop at all.

***

I know this is a bonus chapter for Olivia and Brett - but some of you commented on the first book that she'd be great in the "business", and it's finally happening. :) Please vote and comment.