40. The sarcastic soldier who fell too quickly

There are only a couple more chapters left and I just wanna warn you all that... that you are going to need your tissues and your ice cream and a bubble bath - maybe a therapist too. I am so very thankful for you all and as I'm writing the last two chapters of this book, I am planning the first few chapters of Adam's book. 

I am sorry in advance guys - enjoy this chapter because it'll be one of the last happy ones. Please do vote and comment it helps a lot! <3 

A couple of weeks had passed since Olivia had literally battered her father to the brink of death, Brett being the one to drag her away from him - he knew she wouldn't be able to live with herself if she killed someone (never mind her own father...).

"Do you need anything?", Liam asked, opening the door of Phoebe's bedroom. The brunette woman sat there creating her designs for her next clothing line. It was summer, and she needed to adjust her fabrics and her designs so that her customers would remain happy. 

Phoebe huffed, placing down her pencil. "Staff.", She admitted in defeat. 

As much as she enjoyed being independent, she'd been thinking more about hiring people to work for her - she had the money, that wasn't an issue. 

Liam watched her spin in her chair to face him and he sent her a half-smile. He admired her. After everything that had happened these past few days, she could still put her mind to her work, and to creating. 

Creative, Independent and Stunning. 

Devastatingly so.

"Then why don't we set up a post online? I'm sure plenty of women would kill to work for you Phoebe Black.", Liam took this time to walk further into her room, walking to stand beside the seated Phoebe. 

Phoebe sighed. Since Liam Knight had saved her life and the lives of her niece and nephew, she'd let him in - she'd let him in so easily and it killed her, but she trusted him. 

After all, he was going to be the father of her child. #

"Because I can't accept the help.", She sighed, looking back down at the sketch of a short and airy dress that she'd been drawing - for pregnant women. A dress that was made for pregnant women to still look gorgeous and youthful. 

Her new designs had nothing to do with summer... but was entirely focused on the clothing of pregnant women, something she'd never made or even thought about making before. 

"You're not accepting the help Phoebe,", Liam placed his hands on her shoulders, and his rough hands began gently massaging the tenseness that rested there. "You are ordering that help, you still have full control, you would still be independent. You'd own a running business, not just yourself.", He cooed. 

Phoebe's eyes fluttered shut, allowing him to give her a massage. 

"I'd say that that is far more impressive than running yourself ragged.", His voice was husky as he leaned down and pressed a kiss atop her head, his eyes catching sight of the sketch before her. A curvy woman was sketched, a rounded belly was covered by a short dress. 

A rounded belly. 

"This is your new design?", He asked, voice void of emotion. 

Liam's mind ran to the fact that she had lost a baby and that this was a step forward. She was dealing with that loss - and he was proud of her. Before she had a chance to reply, he pressed a kiss top her head again. 

"You're so strong," He admired out loud. 

Phoebe's eyes opened and she turned in her chair, facing him now. He peered down into her ocean blue eyes, and took note of the emotion shining in them. "I love you.", She said. 

Liam's hands fell from her shoulders. 

His body froze. 

His jaw clenched. 

And he couldn't understand what he felt right now, it was content and happiness but something much more intense than that. 

"Liam I love you.", She whispered. "I've never understood why you stuck around and bothered with me and my attitude, but I know that I'm so thankful and I couldn't imagine my life without you in it," She swallowed. 

Liam said nothing - his whole life had frozen before him. 

He couldn't believe what she was saying. It felt like a dream. 

"You never left me."

Another moment of silence. 

"You never gave up on me."

Liam crouched down before her, and looked up into her eyes now. His hands slowly reached to cup her face, his hands shaking with adrenaline and happiness. Phoebe leaned into his right hand, her eyes fluttering shut. 

Safe. 

Liam felt like home to her. 

"I promised I wasn't going anywhere.", He said, voice fuelled with certainty. 

Phoebe's eyes opened finally, and her blue met his brown. 

"I love you more.", He devoted. 

And then, before anyone could think or say anything else, his lips met hers. Neither of them could remember who had initiated the kiss, and neither of them cared. They were one. And would forever be one

The independent woman who felt too much and admitted nothing, and the sarcastic soldier who fell too quickly

They would forever be one.