And So It Begins

Over the next two weeks (Y/N) and Owen continued to work together with the Raptors but eventually it came to the day when Hoskins came back to watch their training.
    “I have a bad feeling about today,” (Y/N) thought to herself, she had woken up that morning with a bad feeling about the day.
    Having to deal with Hoskins never helped either. She didn’t even give him a chance to talk to her, she just walked quickly past him. He turned to watch her go.
    “Good morning,” Hoskins said.
    (Y/N) just put up her middle finger and kept walking, then Hoskins turned back to Owen.
    “You really should teach her some respect,” Hoskins told him.
    “I have, but I also taught her not to respect someone who doesn’t deserve it. And trust me, she’s pretty good at picking out the people who don’t deserve it,” Owen replied before walking away.
    It wasn’t long before everyone showed up and the training began and for the first time in a long while it was a complete success. Everyone cheered before going back to work, (YN) still got nervous while they were training but day by day it got better. Owen and (Y/N) didn’t even have a chance to say anything to each other before Hoskins butted in.
    “Owen, I was starting to think we hired the wrong guys, and girl of course,” Hoskins started, gesturing towards (Y/N), “but damn, you got them eating out of your hand,” Hoskins said as if they hadn’t talked in years.
    “You came on a good day, normally it doesn’t end this well,” Owen said, he just wanted to be done dealing with this clown.
    “Is that why you’re not sending in your reports?” Hoskins asked.
    Truth be told, Owen had never done any of them, (Y/N) always took care of those since she was little, she was a lot better at communicating her observations on paper than any of the other workers which came in handy a lot.
    “We’ve been busy,” Owen said simply in an annoyed tone.
    “Not too busy to cash your paychecks,” Hoskins countered.
    “What do you need, buddy?” Owen asked, almost throwing up in his mouth at calling Hoskins ‘buddy.’
    “A field test,” Hoskins said earning a pissed and annoyed eyes roll from Owen, “Hey. I've just seen they can respond to commands. We need to take the research and get it on its feet.”
    “These are wild animals, Hoskins. Trust me, you don’t want them in the field,” Owen said before he started to walk away.
    Hoskins quickly got in front of him to stop him from completely walking away “I just saw a bond. A real bond. Between man and beast.”
    “You’re in my way,” Owen said, now beyond annoyed.
    Owen began to walk away again but not fast enough and Hoskins kept running his mouth “Come on. We're the same. We're dogs of war. We know that the military needs to reduce casualties. Some people think that robots are the future. Look, nature gave us the most effective killing machines 75 million years ago. And now we know they can take orders.”
    Thankfully Barry stepped in, if he hadn’t Owen might have killed Hoskins in the spot, “We finally make progress and that’s the first thing he says. Make a weapon?” he was just as unenthused.
    “Shit. Come on, gents. It's grown-up time. Drones can't search tunnels and caves. And they're hackable. The minute a real war breaks out, all that fancy tech is gonna go dark,” Hoskins said, he was tired of not being able to get anywhere with this idea.
    “But that tech’s not gonna eat them if they forget to feed it,” (Y/N) called out from behind them, making her presence known again, below them the Raptors were chasing each other playfully.
    “You know he has no rights to your Raptor right?” Hoskins said, meaning that Owen couldn’t legally stop (Y/N) from taking Eclipse for a field test.
    “Don’t even think about it,” (Y/N) replied with a sarcastic smile that said quite plainly ‘touch her, and I’ll kill you’ and flipping him off again.
    Realizing he wasn’t going to win with her he went back to trying to convince Owen as he walked down the stair, “Look at these creatures. They've got millions of years of instinct in their cells, instinct that we can program. Their loyalty cannot be bought. These guys are gonna run straight into the enemy's teeth and eat them, belt buckle and all.”
    “What if they decide they wanna be in charge?” Owen asked.
    “Well, then we remind them who is. We terminate the rogues. Promote only loyal bloodlines,” At this Owen started laughing slightly, “What? What's so funny?”
    “I don't know. You come here and you don't learn anything about these animals except what you want to know. You made them, and now you think you own them,” Owen answered.
    “Oh, but we do own them. Extinct animals have no rights,” Hoskins said.
    “They’re not extinct anymore Hoskins,” Owen said bluntly.
    “Exactly. We're sitting on a goldmine and Masrani is using it to stock a petting zoo,” Hoskins started.
    “He just wants to teach people some humility. He doesn't make weapons,” Owen interrupted.
    “You think that the eighth richest man in the world is only into oil, telecom, and family fun parks? He's so diversified, he doesn't even know what he owns,” Hoskins continued.
    “How long has InGen been practicing this pitch?” Owen interrupted again.
    “Since the day we hired you out of the Navy. You knew the end game. These animals can replace thousands of boots on the ground. How many lives would that save? War is part of nature. Look around, Owen. Every living thing in this jungle is trying to murder the other. Mother Nature's way of testing her creations. Refining the pecking order. War is a struggle. Struggle breeds greatness. Without that, we end up with places like this, charge seven bucks a soda,” Hoskins said.
    (Y/N) snuck by the two men and into the cage attached to the actual enclosure just to get away.
    “Do you hear yourself when you talk?” Owen asked.
    “This is gonna happen. With or without you boys. Progress always wins,” Hoskins, not really caring whether he got Owen on his side or not anymore.
    “Maybe progress should lose for once,” Owen suggested.
    Then, from behind (Y/N) back up on the catwalk, a panicked voice called out “Pig loose! Pig loose!”
    Little did either of them know but that was the start of a very bad day.