Hybrid Trouble

The plan was going smoothly, then, one of the younger Stegosaurus' broke away from the herd and headed toward the forest. Colt looked over at her.

"We'll get 'em," (Y/N) said through the earpiece. 

"Come on Eclipse," (Y/N) tilted her head towards the forest and began moving that way.

It was surprisingly dark in the forest, mostly open area near the ground but the leaves and branches were so thick above them that almost no sunlight got through, without sunlight, most of the ground was dirt. 

"I don't like this place. Let's just get the dino and get outta here," (Y/N) thought, looking to see Eclipse even tenser than before beside her. 

"That doesn't make me feel any better."

By the time they found the young dinosaur, it was already laying in a pool of its own blood on the hard ground, covered in claw and teeth marks.

"It wouldn't have taken that much to kill this one. Almost like the Indominous," (Y/N) thought, pulling her horse to a stop, pushing memories of that day at Jurassic World out of her mind.

Her horse refused to stand still, constantly moving or stomping its feet, Eclipse was displaying similar behavior. (Y/N)'s eyes were locked on the dead dinosaur, she had spent a few nights memorizing the claw marks of every predator so that she'd be able to identify any threats.

"I've never seen any claw marks like that," (Y/N) thought.

One similarity that all the new hybrids shared was a taste for violence, whether there was any reason or not. She had enough evidence to make the call.

"There's a hybrid! Abandon the mission! This thing is like the Indominous, it's killing just to kill," (Y/N) ordered through the earpiece.

Unfortunately, she was met with static, they had already moved too far away from her, or something was blocking the signal. (Y/N) began reining her horse away from the dead dinosaur, they had practiced for this.

"Eclipse, go ahead, I don't care how you do it but get the message through to the rest of the team that we have to leave," (Y/N) ordered.

Eclipse hesitated, worry filling her eyes.

"I'll be right behind you, you're faster, and I'll cover you," (Y/N) reassured her. 

After a few more seconds, Eclipse broke into a run. (Y/N) followed after her, her horse was just picking up its pace and Eclipse was just slipping out of sight when something slammed into them. (Y/N) fell off and the horse fell but got up quickly and continued running away. 

"Dammit," (Y/N) thought, luckily she had grabbed her gun off the saddle earlier.

 Then she saw it. 

A gray, brown, and black dinosaur. About the size of an Allosaurus, Stegosaurus spikes on the end of its long tail. Claws similar to a Velociraptor, teeth and arms like the Indoraptor and Indominous. A streamlined head, and red-amber eyes focused solely on her. (Y/N) didn't completely lose her cool, she had become too accustomed to this sort of situation. She scrambled to her feet, raising her gun as the hybrid stalked closer to her. She fired a bullet, it hit the top of its head but barely drew blood.

"That should've gone straight through the scales,"  (Y/N) thought nervously.

She tried again, this time firing at its chest but it yielded the same result. She moved and fired at the lower part of its belly, again, blood but no significant damage. She didn't have a clear shot at the eyes. 

"Shit!" (Y/N) thought.

The flair gun would never get through the canopy of leaves and branches and if she tried firing it anyway she wouldn't be able to see anything. She fired the rest of her bullets, all in vain. If she tried to run it would catch her in no time. She could try what she tried with the Indoraptor.

"I don't have much of a choice," (Y/N) thought, having made her decision.

She threw her gun at the dinosaur, hitting it on the head, then ran, as she ran past it she made a slash at its eye. She cut it, probably deep enough to blind it in that eye but not distract it. When she looked back, she couldn't see it behind her. 

"What?" (Y/N) wondered.

Then, there was a sharp pain in her chest.

A/N: Only one more chapter, it's gonna be a long one and I may cry at the thought of this story ending. After the final chapter I'll be doing a sort of Q&A chapter, I'll talk a little bit about the story, some of my favorite parts, lessons, a method to the madness, and all that good stuff😂. If there are any questions about the story or something you'd like me to go over leave them in the comments for feel free to message me. Thank you guys so much for getting me this far, I can't put into words how much it means to me.