Don't Risk It

A/N: I'm having so much fun with this story I decided to write the next chapter today instead of waiting until early next week! Hope you enjoy it! Now onto the story:

Owen caught her before she hit the ground but just barely with the oddly long amount of time it took him to react. Her head fell back over his arm slightly and he moved his arm to support her head. She was okay, everything that had happened was just too much for her body to handle and remain conscious. He knew they had to get going or risk getting left behind on the island so he picked her up basically bridal style. Claire took the lead in getting them to the docks and Owen followed behind the boys, every now and then he would feel a drop or two of her blood run down his arm and fall onto the hard ground below. He had to shift her in his arms a few times on the way there but she was surprisingly light.

*Time skip to after the hanger scene*

Once they got to the mainland and everything that had to be dealt with immediately was dealt with Owen took her to the hospital where they kept her sedated while they did their tests and scans. The cut on her head wasn't much to worry about and they'd put stitches in if they had to but for the time being they just cleaned it and tried to get some of the blood out of her hair but with everything it was a little busy. They reset her wrist and put it in a cast and once they had everything taken care of they sent someone to talk to Owen. That particular waiting room was surprisingly empty and Owen had been sitting alone with his thoughts the whole time. Someone calling him by his last name brought him back from his thoughts. He looked up to see one of the doctors that had been with (Y/N) when they first took her.

"How is she?" Owen asked quickly, standing up just as quick.

"She'll be okay, the sedatives should wear off with the next half hour. She got lucky, the only major injury that she has is the fact that most of the right side of her skull is fractured, there's no brain bleeds, as of right now she doesn't need any stitches and her wrist should heal and be good as new within a month or two. We're going to keep her for 24 hours to make sure that nothing was just hiding and to make sure none of her responses were damaged but as she stands now she should make a full recovery," The doctor explained.

"No surgery?" Owen asked slightly surprised and extremely relieved to know she was okay. 

"We'll take some more scans of her head in an hour and if there's either a brain bleed or the parts of her skull aren't staying in place we'll have to take her into surgery but as of right now she's in the clear."

Owen let out a ragged breath, he felt like crying but held back, "Can I see her?"

"Of course, follow me."

She led him to where (Y/N) was and then left him alone to sit with her until they had to take her for her scans. He sat with her in silence, he stayed back against the wall and just watched her breathe. He pushed back his thoughts and regrets to keep from crying he just tried to focus on the fact that she was okay and when 'for now' tried to add itself to the thought he thought about when she was little, he wasn't there for her a lot before they moved to the island but the memories from before then were ones he treasured, he hadn't heard he first laugh, or word, he hadn't seen her crawl or walk for the first time but he tried to make up for what he had missed every day. Just as he began to drift off into his thoughts she began to come around. It took her a minute to remember everything and register where she was and what was going on. He watched her carefully, and then came the part when the pain kicked in. 

"Ow," She moaned as she covered her eyes with her good hand, "It's bright in here."

He leaned over to the wall and dimmed the lights to make it a little better, no one seemed to mind that he did so. 

"Other than ow, who do you feel?" Owen asked.

She spread her ring and middle finger and opened one eye and just looked at him.

"That bad?"

"Mhm," They had given pain killers but knew they wouldn't do much.

"I'll be quiet then," Owen whispered.

After another 35 minutes of silence, the doctor came back. 

"So, how are we doing in here?" The doctor asked.

"Ow," Owen said subtly poking fun at (Y/N)'s previous reply.

This time (Y/N) folded all her fingers back except her middle one before taking her hand down from her eyes.

"Well, I see the sense of humor isn't damaged," The doctor joked.

The doctor quickly checked to make sure her eyes, hearing, and other responses worked fine.

"Well, what do you say, should we go get those scans so we can leave you alone?" The doctor asked.

(Y/N) nodded her head slightly and they took her to go get her scans, Owen was allowed to stay in her room until they came back. The doctor and one other person were in the little room waiting for the scans to come up on the screen, the doctor could tell that (Y/N) was extremely uncomfortable.

"Hang in there just a little longer kid, we're almost done," The doctor said into the little microphone.

Finally, the scans came up on the screen after glancing over them once the doctor's eyes focused on one spot.

"Can you zoom in on that?" The doctor asked.

The other person did, "It could be nothing."

"It could be," The doctor said leaving her sentence hanging, she pushed the button on the little microphone, "Hey (Y/N), can you feel any pressure on the right side of your head?"

"Yeah, why?" (Y/N) replied quietly.

She took her finger off the button, "The rest of the bleed is most likely hidden, we've got a warning, I don't want to take a chance with it."

"What's going on?" (Y/N) asked nervously.

"You're gonna need an operation but you'll be fine, we're gonna take you back to your room until we get ready," The doctor answered.

"Okay," (Y/N) replied her voice audibly shaking.

This day was becoming way too much.

A/N: I just have a few short things to say, I don't claim that any of this is medically accurate. Would you guys like to see some flashbacks to Owen's memories of the time he got to spend with her and a kid? Also, thank you guys so much for the support on this book it means the world to me! Have a great day/night!