11. Oh No, Please, Don't Abandon Me

-Arianna-

I've been sitting on the couch thinking for what felt like hours and my confirmation was Jaime walking in through the door, I immediately wipe the tears from my eyes and run my hand through my hair.

"Hey baby, what are you doing?" Jaime asks coming over and sitting next to me.

"Hey what's wrong?" He grabs my hand and places his free hand on my cheek getting a better look at my face.

I say nothing but turn my gaze towards the open letter sitting on the coffee table; he follows my gaze and takes in a deep breath before looking back towards me.

He goes over and grabs the letter and skims over it.

"Read it aloud." I say repositioning myself on the couch to sit Indian style.

"Dear Arianna,

We are pleased to inform you that we have located your father Atticus Vespillo and a potential sibling.

At the moment Atticus resides in Cleveland, Ohio and is in very good health.

If you want to further pursue this search please feel free to call our offices at, 619-***-**** ext. 201, during the hours of 9 A.M. and 5 P.M.

Best Regards,

Deborah Littlefield

San Diego Child Welfare Offices"

I keep my eyes on Jaime the whole time watching his eyebrows scrunch up and jaw tense, maybe he felt the same way I did.

"Ari, I don't know what to say. How do you feel?"

"I feel like the least favorite child." I say.

"Don't say that, it says potential, which means they think you have a sibling, not that you actually do."

"And if I do Jaime?!" I say getting frustrated.

"If I do that just means he left me with a sinister mother while he rescued himself and my brother or sister. Do you know how that feels?!" I shout, getting up from my sitting position to pace back and forth in front of him.

"No I don't." He says dragging his hand down his face.

"No, but I'll tell you." I begin.

"It feels like knives thrown at your back, my dad didn't care-"

"Don't say that." He says catching me off guard.

"What? Are you defending him?"

"No I'm not; I'm just saying you're putting things in your mind before you know the answers."

A tear falls from my eye and I swipe it away quickly, Jaime gets up and comes over to me wrapping his arms around my shaking body.

I wrap my arms around his torso and sobs begin to rack my body as I grab onto his shirt and let the tears flow from my eyes.

"D-did he n-not love me-e?" I ask through tears.

"Shh, I don't know why he wouldn't, look at you." He says pulling away.

"Then why?"

"I don't know the answers to that baby, but we can find out if you want to know." I nod my head, finally wanting to know reasons, and not some made up stories from my brain.

"Well it's one-thirty right now." He says looking at his watch.

"You can call the lady and set up an appointment to meet her." I nod again and he hands me my phone from the couch and then goes over to the letter picking it up and reading out the number to which I type in with shaky fingers.