14. Permanently Yours

I walked up to the fairly new bakery door and looked to the window to make sure the sign was still propped up against it.

'Help Wanted'

I took a deep breath and grabbed the silver door knob, twisting it sharply and entered the building. The bells tied to the knob rang and I heard someone shuffling in the back.

A Hispanic woman emerged from the back room brushing her hands against her pink apron, she was around five feet tall with short black hair encircling her face, she had piercing chocolate brown eyes and wore a smile on her face.

"May I help you?" She asked, her Mexican accent coming out strong.

"Uh yeah, I saw that you're hiring and I was wondering if I could apply." I say with a smile.

"What's your name?" She asks.

"Arianna Vespillo."

"Age?" She immediately continues.

"Eighteen."

"Can you use a cash register?" She points to the register on her left.

"Yes ma'am." I reply.

"How about clean dishes, and mop?" She squints her eyes.

"Yes ma'am I can."

She looks at me a bit longer then extends her arm out to shake my hand which I politely take her hand in mine.

"I'm Lisa, and congratulations you've got the job." She says with a smile.

I went to the door and flipped the sign to 'closed' then exited the building, shutting the door and locking it before backing up and taking in the sight one last time.

"Come on Arianna, you look great, now the young man needs a picture!"

I brushed my hair to the side and ran over to Lisa who was standing in front of the bakery door and under the sign.

She brought me in to her side and we smiled widely as the man took the picture.

"Okay one more ladies." He says from behind his Kodak camera.

I quickly grabbed Lisa and took her into an embrace getting a laugh to escape her throat. I screwed my eyes shut and smiled like never before and let the man take the photo.

"Okay ladies that was great!"

We walked over to him and he shook our hands quickly.

"I'll have these developed and sent to you in a few days tops."

I looked down at the photo in my hands, we looked like we won a million dollars, but in reality we had just gotten recognition as the most successful bakery in San Diego.

"I'm sorry I let you down Lisa." I say looking up towards the sky.

I let a tear escape my eye before I brushed it away quickly, and then turned around to get in my car to leave.

The drive home was silent, just the roaring of the engine and the sniffling of my nose.

It took two months to try and keep the bakery up and running, but it failed.

The week of Lisa's death took a major toll on me, I spent most nights crying and wanting nothing but to call her and tell her how horrible I felt only to be reminded that she wouldn't answer.